Configuring WEP in WinXP Clients

I can't seem to configure my home network client machines to connect to my
wireless Belkin router using WEP (64 bit or 128 bit). My system is WinXP
with Service Pack 2. I went to the router's home page and did two things: I
generated an SSID, and then set secuirty mode for 64 bit (or 128 bit) WEP by
creating a passphrase which generates hex pairs. Next in my clients I
created a wireless connection corresponding to the one I created on the
router's webpage, i.e. Network Authentication: OPEN;
Data Encryption WEP; and Network Key: [I inputted the passphrase]. I also
unchecked "The key is provided for me automatically." I then rebooted, but
still no connection. My network adapter icon in the client's system tray
says "Limited or no connectivity." So what am I doing wrong? Any ideas or

"Terry Smerling" <smerling@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I can't seem to configure my home network client machines to connect to my
> wireless Belkin router using WEP (64 bit or 128 bit). My system is WinXP
> with Service Pack 2. I went to the router's home page and did two things:
> generated an SSID, and then set secuirty mode for 64 bit (or 128 bit) WEP
> by
> creating a passphrase which generates hex pairs. Next in my clients I
> created a wireless connection corresponding to the one I created on the
> router's webpage, i.e. Network Authentication: OPEN;
> Data Encryption WEP; and Network Key: [I inputted the passphrase]. I also
> unchecked "The key is provided for me automatically." I then rebooted,
> but
> still no connection. My network adapter icon in the client's system tray
> says "Limited or no connectivity." So what am I doing wrong? Any ideas
> or

If your router lists the WEP keys it generated as #1 #2 #3 ( I think all of
them do ) Make note of the position of the one you are inputting into the
wireless NIC's configuration then go into that wireless connections
properties, select the wireless networks tab and make sure you have the same
number (1,2,3 or 4 etc) in the key advance field.

For example, if you're using the 3rd WEP key the router generates make sure
the key advance field on the wireless NIC is set to 3. Otherwise it's got
the right key because you entered it but it's looking for it in the wrong
slot.

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure I understand. My router page
generates 13 hex pairs. So is the number you referred to 13?

"JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message

> "Terry Smerling" <smerling@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>I can't seem to configure my home network client machines to connect to my
>> wireless Belkin router using WEP (64 bit or 128 bit). My system is WinXP
>> with Service Pack 2. I went to the router's home page and did two
>> things: I
>> generated an SSID, and then set secuirty mode for 64 bit (or 128 bit) WEP
>> by
>> creating a passphrase which generates hex pairs. Next in my clients I
>> created a wireless connection corresponding to the one I created on the
>> router's webpage, i.e. Network Authentication: OPEN;
>> Data Encryption WEP; and Network Key: [I inputted the passphrase]. I
>> also
>> unchecked "The key is provided for me automatically." I then rebooted,
>> but
>> still no connection. My network adapter icon in the client's system tray
>> says "Limited or no connectivity." So what am I doing wrong? Any ideas
>> or
>> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> If your router lists the WEP keys it generated as #1 #2 #3 ( I think all
> of them do ) Make note of the position of the one you are inputting into
> the wireless NIC's configuration then go into that wireless connections
> properties, select the wireless networks tab and make sure you have the
> same number (1,2,3 or 4 etc) in the key advance field.
>
> For example, if you're using the 3rd WEP key the router generates make
> sure the key advance field on the wireless NIC is set to 3. Otherwise it's
> got the right key because you entered it but it's looking for it in the
> wrong slot.

OK when you supplied the passphrase it generated that key made of 13 hex
pairs or in other words, a 26 character series of numbers and letters ( for
128 bit WEP). It also likely generated at least 3 other keys made up of 13
pairs each and they'll be listed on the security or encryption ( or
something similar) tab of the wireless setup section in the web utility for
your router. You need to look there and see which of those 26 character keys
is actually checked as the one in use and then check the properties on the
wireless NIC you're setting up to use the correct key# per what I said
before. I'd bet dollars to donuts it didn't generate only one Key ( again
each key is made of 26 digits ). You have to type all 26 exactly as shown
( case sensitive ) and not the passphrase when setting up the NIC's (client
machines) that will connect to that router.

Now knowing which model router you're using I can't come up with any more
detail than this. The thing I'm trying to get you to look into is that it's
entirely likely the key you need to provide is not the one you initially saw
when running the setup, but one of the others that were generated along with
it instead.

> Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure I understand. My router page
> generates 13 hex pairs. So is the number you referred to 13?
>
> "JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message
>>
>> "Terry Smerling" <smerling@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>>I can't seem to configure my home network client machines to connect to
>>>my
>>> wireless Belkin router using WEP (64 bit or 128 bit). My system is
>>> WinXP
>>> with Service Pack 2. I went to the router's home page and did two
>>> things: I
>>> generated an SSID, and then set secuirty mode for 64 bit (or 128 bit)
>>> WEP by
>>> creating a passphrase which generates hex pairs. Next in my clients I
>>> created a wireless connection corresponding to the one I created on the
>>> router's webpage, i.e. Network Authentication: OPEN;
>>> Data Encryption WEP; and Network Key: [I inputted the passphrase]. I
>>> also
>>> unchecked "The key is provided for me automatically." I then rebooted,
>>> but
>>> still no connection. My network adapter icon in the client's system
>>> tray
>>> says "Limited or no connectivity." So what am I doing wrong? Any ideas
>>> or
>>> suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>

>> If your router lists the WEP keys it generated as #1 #2 #3 ( I think all
>> of them do ) Make note of the position of the one you are inputting into
>> the wireless NIC's configuration then go into that wireless connections
>> properties, select the wireless networks tab and make sure you have the
>> same number (1,2,3 or 4 etc) in the key advance field.
>>
>> For example, if you're using the 3rd WEP key the router generates make
>> sure the key advance field on the wireless NIC is set to 3. Otherwise
>> it's got the right key because you entered it but it's looking for it in
>> the wrong slot.

Thanks again for your reply. I'm still not getting it. My router generates
13 hex-pairs, each divided by a "." What do I input as the "key." The 13
pairs separtated by 12 periods, i.e. a total of 38 characters or just the 13
pairs without the periods fora total of 26 characters. In either event I
could not make it work. I can find no place on the Belkin router page where
other keys are listed or mentioned. Belkin customer support was of no help.
Sorry to keep bothering you, but what am I not understanding?

> OK when you supplied the passphrase it generated that key made of 13 hex
> pairs or in other words, a 26 character series of numbers and letters (
> for 128 bit WEP). It also likely generated at least 3 other keys made up
> of 13 pairs each and they'll be listed on the security or encryption ( or
> something similar) tab of the wireless setup section in the web utility
> for your router. You need to look there and see which of those 26
> character keys is actually checked as the one in use and then check the
> properties on the wireless NIC you're setting up to use the correct key#
> per what I said before. I'd bet dollars to donuts it didn't generate only
> one Key ( again each key is made of 26 digits ). You have to type all 26
> exactly as shown ( case sensitive ) and not the passphrase when setting up
> the NIC's (client machines) that will connect to that router.
>
> Now knowing which model router you're using I can't come up with any more
> detail than this. The thing I'm trying to get you to look into is that
> it's entirely likely the key you need to provide is not the one you
> initially saw when running the setup, but one of the others that were
> generated along with it instead.
>

> "Terry Smerling" <smerling@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure I understand. My router page
>> generates 13 hex pairs. So is the number you referred to 13?
>>
>> "JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Terry Smerling" <smerling@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> If your router lists the WEP keys it generated as #1 #2 #3 ( I think all
>>> of them do ) Make note of the position of the one you are inputting into
>>> the wireless NIC's configuration then go into that wireless connections
>>> properties, select the wireless networks tab and make sure you have the
>>> same number (1,2,3 or 4 etc) in the key advance field.
>>>
>>> For example, if you're using the 3rd WEP key the router generates make
>>> sure the key advance field on the wireless NIC is set to 3. Otherwise
>>> it's got the right key because you entered it but it's looking for it in
>>> the wrong slot.

Malke

Terry Smerling wrote:

> Thanks again for your reply. I'm still not getting it. My router
> generates
> 13 hex-pairs, each divided by a "." What do I input as the "key."
> The 13 pairs separtated by 12 periods, i.e. a total of 38 characters
> or just the 13
> pairs without the periods fora total of 26 characters. In either
> event I
> could not make it work. I can find no place on the Belkin router page
> where
> other keys are listed or mentioned. Belkin customer support was of no
> help. Sorry to keep bothering you, but what am I not understanding?

You input the 26 characters without periods.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com