Confirmed: ASRock Says Intel's Coffee Lake CPUs Will Require New Motherboards

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Now that you mention it, I don't actually know anyone who upgrades every new socket. People usually skip at least one, if not two generations now between platform upgrades. Kaby Lake hasn't even been compelling enough to convince all the Sandy Bridge owners they need to upgrade.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Cheap bastard checking in. Two CPUs on a Socket 7, three went through a 775, and I'm on my second chip with my current 1151. Doubt it's just me. My Socket A and 754 boards never got the same love, though.

bloodroses

Distinguished

What CPUs are you buying to go through that many CPUs per socket? To me it seems like it's the opposite of being cheap since you end up spending more money in the long run than just paying for what you want in the first place.

artk2219

Distinguished

I've done the same, and for me it wasn't always about having a huge upgrade so much as playing around with my system. My 939 board went from an Athlon 3200+ to an Athlon 64 x2 4800+. AM3 went from a Phenom II 925 to a 965 to a 960 t unlocked to an x6. AM3+ went from that 960t to an 8150 to my current 8320. Mostly I either got a crazy good deal or the chip was given to me by someone else, I was always able to sell the old chip to either completely cover or mostly cover the cost. It was worth it to play with later binnings, chip unlocking, and better clocking chips. Granted I am an edge case, but I've definitely helped people upgrade from Athlon 64's, Athlon II x2's, and phenoms, to Phenom II x4's, x6's, or FX 83xx chips (gotta love the dual DDR2 and DDR3 controllers in the phenom's II's, and AM3+'s backwards compatibility) or Pentium dual cores to I5's and I7's vs pitching their old board and cpu completely for something that wasn't necessarily as cost effective.

bloodroses

Distinguished

I can see that. I'm just usually the type that tries to re-purpose old hardware. So, if I upgraded my CPU, I'd want another motherboard anyways to reuse the old CPU... lol

InvalidError

Titan

Yup, that's another reason why I don't upgrade CPUs on my motherboards, hate to have $100+ spare parts.

artk2219

Distinguished

Im not saying I don't agree with both of you, I either sell off the old parts or give them to family or friends, I hate having them just sit. In the case of my wifes last upgrade from her 8320e to her Ryzen 1600 the 8320e became a small vhost. I mounted all of the components on the wall behind the TV, around the wall mount, its running xen on ubuntu currently and doing double duty as an htpc for the office.

Malik 722

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
.and exactly how many innovations are found on new intel based mother boards let me guess more led's with each new generation and more bugs.

InvalidError

Titan

IIRC, when the first rumors of Coffee Lake requiring a new socket surfaced, one of the suspected reasons was CPU PCIe lanes getting bumped from 16 to 24. Changing the IO complement hosted by the CPU is one of those things that would inevitably require a new socket unless the capability was provided for beforehand.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

That can depend on money available in the first place. In the case of my 775 build in '09, I set a pretty strict spending limit for the platform, dropping about a hundred bucks each on MB and an E7300. A Q9650 would have been north of $300, IIRC. That worked out until I grabbed a used E8500 (great chip, by the way) for something like $60. Finally, a $40 Xeon E5450 with the 775 mod (Q9650 equivalent) went in and got me through until I finally upgraded to 1151 in early 2016.

That's a bit over six years on a single board, and I spent about $100 less than if I had started with the 9650. The same logic led me from a 9800 GT to a 550 ti, which was about the same total outlay as a GTX 260 would have been up front, but got me to the same place in the end for less initial cost. I also had more excuses to dig into the guts of my PC and got more packages in the mail. :D

But when funds aren't tight, I totally get your logic. My upgrade from an i3 6100 to a 6600K, though worthwhile, wasn't exactly cost-effective, and may never have been with SB-and-later *K chips holding value like a raccoon to something shiny. Not to mention the fact that I gave away the i3 rather than try to re-sell. And unless I can find a killer deal on a 6/7700K, upgrading again will definitely leave me in the red vs. buying a 6700K in the first place, even if I get good resale on the i5.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
When I built my PC, skylake had just come out and unlocked chips were at inflated prices due to limited supply ($500+, canadian, for a 6700k). I got an open box i3-6100 for 120 CAD. Earlier this year, I exchanged my 6100 + 250 CAD for a new 6700K from someone on a local buy and sell. So upgrading on the same mobo worked out pretty well for me, and saved me over $100.

artk2219

Distinguished

Honestly it could happen with either team, if you jumped into socket 754, late socket 939, or early AM2 on AMD's side you got screwed. Am2+ was great for the options it afforded, its a shame AM3 couldn't take bulldozer but at least AM3+ let you use your old chips and it gave you a hell of a product portfolio that you could use. It's just a shame it never went further, and that they never pushed out anything really powerful on the FM2 or FM2+ sockets (looking at you 12 and 16 core opterons -_-). With all of that said, AM4 is looking good so far, we will see how TR4 does.

Selfish_Android

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I was going to upgrade my 6700k when i heard that coffee lake was compatible with Z170 and Z270, but now it seems like my next CPU will be from AMD, if i have to change my mobo i better get a Ryzen CPU, will wait for Ryzen 2 tho, good bye intel you lost a costumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.