Confirmed: ASRock Says Intel's Coffee Lake CPUs Will Require New Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

artk2219

Distinguished
Well thats got the potential to backfire on the consumer end. "I need more power but I have to update my motherboard in order to do it. I've heard AMD has some decent chips this time around, oh and they can save me some cash and the sockets have support until 2020? Hrmm."

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
They could be used on 200 series - that's Intel business edition. CFL has been validated on 200s before new chipset was available.

I have Z170 personally. So... Threadripper it is.

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
You'd figure the way AMD has been handing Intel their ass lately, they'd learn their lesson and stop forcing you into a platform upgrade with each CPU release. Meanwhile, AMD's playing it smart by ensuring the socket will be supported for a couple more years.

Looks like if we're keeping recent score, it's AMD 2, Intel 0.

JACK_296

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Too a bad for Intel they used to be king of the CPU. Their latest attempt to keep up with AMD with price and compatibility and value was misplaced...

AMD all the way AMD King of the play

artk2219

Distinguished

I agree, but its probably a decision that was made long ago, they didnt know AMD was going to be as competitive as they currently are so they didn't plan for it. Sucks for them but I guess that's just how the cookie crumbles this time around. On the plus if you do buy into the new platform you should get at least one more revision for it before it gets retired, unless it turns out like AM3, AM3+, FM1, or LGA 1156 and 1150. At least with AM3+ you could use your old Phenom II's and Athlon II's. Honestly now that i think about it, sockets have been kind of a shit show for a little while now.

JACK_296

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
Intel is not going to be king of the CPU anymore AMD has chips that are affordable and just as powerful and the support beats Intel hands down 2 to one

AMD all the way
AMD best in gameplay
AMD ryzen

Colin_10

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I'm still using an I7-3770 and it still basically crushes everything, more than 5 years later. I feel like I have been saying this for years now but, "Maybe I'll upgrade in 2 more years."

G

I agree with everything but Intel is still the king in CPU Market and this forcing customers to buy new mobo with new CPU is BS but hey there is enough people to buy Intel stuff anyway and that's why their stock is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> compared to AMD.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

All signs point to the only significant improvement being Intel finally bringing >4 cores to their mainstream platform. Other than that, it's not a new u-arch or process node, just another 14 nm refinement like Kaby Lake. Meaning you'll maybe get a bit higher clocks and not much else.

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

Granted, and I considered that this was likely in the pipeline before the Ryzen / Threadripper onslaught. Although, this is Intel we're talking about, and while they might have priced their newest processors slightly more competitively, all their recent news releases have suggested they believe they're still far superior to AMD, and I don't anticipate their behavior will change much in the short term.

All this to say, I'm hopeful that AMD wins this round of the processor wars and forces Intel to change their strategy and make the landscape truly competitive.

Colin_10

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Just a tidbit about stock price; The stock price of one company being higher than another is not the only factor that determines price of stock and does not mean that one company is more valuable than another. If they release differing amounts of shares then the percent share of the company per share is obviously different, thus likely yielding a different stock price. Massively simplified and without nuance but; Stock price = company value * percent of company available publicly / number of shares * demand for shares

Mad_3_

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
INTEL has a problem. And it's not actually AMD, its a corporate culture that has gotten much too used to be automatically top of the heap. They are assuming that nobody will switch to save a few hundred dollars for similar performance.

While it could happen, it's a really bad assumption. It's a really bad assumption that anyone would upgrade a VM farm a few blades at a time - you either are building new stacks or you upgrade all at once. If that statement mystifies you, then you need to catch up on the INTEL announcements and press releases, including the one where they got to droning about how you shouldn't mix processors because you wouldn't be able to migrate VM's. And that would just be a software change by VMware in any event - and who does that mixing anyway? It was just remarkably stupid to anyone who has ever worked in a data center.

INTEL has to get on the ball quickly, or you'll see them closing offices and shedding people like rain.

Of all the damned hard things to do, changing a complacent corporate culture that can't believe they aren't easily/automatically top dog any more is one of the hardest. The history of IT is absolutely littered with companies that could not adapt.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Intel still is the king of CPU. Since Ryzen launched, Intel lost the price/performance leader crown, yet they still sell the fastest CPU's available. Not sure what you mean by latest attempt by Intel to keep up. AMD hadn't been competitive in the high end for over a decade. They still aren't faster, though they're a lot cheaper than Intel when comparing similar price points. The last time Intel had an inferior cpu line was the initial release of the Netburst P4's. Not since, and not now.

Intel doesn't seem to care about AMD's price/performance advantage as evidenced by their zero price drops of existing CPU's after Ryzen was launched. Zero. For those of us hoping for a price war, it didn't happen. Even more disappointing, it doesn't look like Intel adjusted pricing of Skylake X either. The only CPU that got a price drop was the 12 core which was probably supposed to replace the 10 core Broadwell E at the $1700 bracket. Instead they dropped it to $1200, and added the 14/16/18 cores above as well as jacking up the clock speeds of the lower core CPU's which killed their efficiency. Big whoop. Meaningless to pretty much all of us.

Time will tell if Intel will be hurt by their arrogance, or justified in the confidence.

bluecode

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
seems like an unnecessary change to milk more cash from its users.. I miss the days of Socket 7 .... one board to run them all.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I criticised Intel recently in a lengthy post about their various dumb decisions, including constant socket changes, but was derided for saying so. Well I guess, QED. :) I don't know why people defend them so much, especially the tech press. They should have come down hard when Intel first started acting crazy with crippled cores and borked TIM (IB).

If Intel is king that could only be because they had Kennedy shot, faked the moon landing and convinced the Dems to run Hillary. ;)

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Given that Ryzen has begun shipping, the design work on the underlying Zen architecture was naturally completed long ago. “So they’ve been well at work on the Zen 2 follow-on,” he said.

What’s more, AMD’s design teams run “leapfrog” roadmaps, so a second team has made good progress on Zen 3, Papermaster added. “I’ve never been so proud of a CPU roadmap,” he said.

I'm thinking Dr Lisa Sue is thinking strategically ahead of the curve best CEO for AMD ever as she is an Engineer not just a CEO.

Just saying Intel did not anticipate this woman's drive for success.

Lets not forget about AMD's huge partnership with Samsung which is just as big as Intel these days, also they just promised to double up on production of HBM2 so we could see a Vega+ refresh, a Zen+ refresh before Zen2 and we could see Zen Vega APU and a refresh to that, it would not be crazy both Intel and AMD do it every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS