Confirmed: Asus OC Socket Does Not Void Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirrelboy

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I'm really wondering exactly what goes through those extra pins. Just power or data as well? btw, they added some extra pins in the corners as well.

InvalidError

Titan
Aside from highlighted areas, there are some more extra pins in all four corners as well, in areas that do not even have vacant spaces in the reference socket.

My guess is most of those are just extra ground pins and some might be test/debug pins like JTAG, MISR or similar. Nothing that should make much of a difference.

lp231

Splendid
I'm wondering if Haswell-E actually has 2011 contacts, where Intel's reference socket has less pins or the CPU itself has more than 2011 contacts and Intel's reference socket just uses 2011 of them, while Asus use the whole lot with their OC socket. Even with Asus's OC socket, there's still some missing pins on their socket.

Lutfij

Titan
Leave it to Asus to live up to the reputation of reverse engineering an already awesome platform to kickass grade!

Kudos Asus. They haven't slowed down since the Core 2 years :)

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
''As if the "warranty" from asus actually means something. Just tell you that no problems were found and send you on your way. ''

or send you the one I sent in 2 weeks ahead of you and call it a referb

So true, used to buy a bunch of asus stuff until I had to deal with an RMA from them. Never again will I buy their stuff.

iogbrideau

Reputable
May 28, 2014
my ''LAST'' asus ended up being my last asus seems all hype an no quality just now living off there old reputation
I'm kind of inclined to agree with your comment here. I've used Asus products for years, and while my 7 year old Asus laptop still is running like new (one of the first core 2s), I had to get rid of my ROG laptop wich I would constantly repair, because in Canada they don't pay for shipping and putting it on warranty the first time cost me $70. I replaced that ROG laptop for a cheap hp laptop with an i5 and it's been a year without issues with it. The desktop I built 6 years ago with mostly Asus parts has parts of the motherboard starting to die already (although I know they make them to last 5 years now but it's still a short live), so yeah, not sure about quality on that motherboard either.

lp231

Splendid
Here are the contact pads on the different family of socket 2011 CPUs. Looks like Intel's Haswell-E socket was made for their Sandy Bridge-EP and Ivy Bridge-EP?
30lec14.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.