Confirmed: Nokia's 808 PureView Coming to U.S. After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]unlocked, but only activated with an AT&T SIM card? umm...[/citation]

This is because the 808 isn't a penta-band device. As a result, it is only compatible with AT&T's 3G network. :(

Edit: Looks like I was wrong -- it is penta-band. Apparently Nokia made a mistake in the spec sheet and subsequently announced that it would only get 2G speeds on T-Mobile. In fact, the 808 will run just fine on both AT&T and T-Mobile when it is launched in the U.S. Hurray!

Thanks to anonymous9999 and athreex for the correction. :)

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
While a good camera is important, it shouldn't be the only focus of the phone. A basic DSLR will still laughably outperform it. I'd rather they invested those resources into a really nice screen since you're looking at it the most.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]While a good camera is important, it shouldn't be the only focus of the phone. A basic DSLR will still laughably outperform it. I'd rather they invested those resources into a really nice screen since you're looking at it the most.[/citation]
just in case you havent noticed yet. this phone hasnt launched yet and no phone has ever been shown with this type of camera. 41mp is far higher than any other 8mp on todays high end phones. a basic dslr might be able to outperform it, but hardly noone walks around with a DSLR around their neck. This is a phone and it will most likely have the best camera seen in phones for a very long time or until another gen of nokias is released or when someone else copies the idea. Just because it might be worse than a basic DSLR doesnt mean its photos will be shit.

also a 41mp camera is miles better marketing than a prettier screen.

G

UPDATE: We incorrectly stated that the Nokia 808 PureView would only work with T-Mobile at 2G speeds. This was caused by an error in the spec sheet. We’re sorry about any confusion. The Nokia 808 PureView works just fine with T-Mobile in the United States.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/06/19/unique-nokia-808-pureview-coming-to-america/

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]While a good camera is important, it shouldn't be the only focus of the phone. A basic DSLR will still laughably outperform it. I'd rather they invested those resources into a really nice screen since you're looking at it the most.[/citation]

so, you take that dslr everywhere you go? no? i didnt think so.

try to find pictures this camera takes. they are amazeing, especialy once you crop them to a 5-8mp range, they come out better than the 3-400$ stand alone cameras that i have used.

i would consider this a camera with a phone attached to it, and in all honesty, it would be for the best considering smartphones cost around the same, but this takes a good picture apposed to them.

the reason for the over sized mp camera is so the images can be cropped and produce a picture of FAR higher quality than normal.

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]just in case you havent noticed yet. this phone hasnt launched yet and no phone has ever been shown with this type of camera. 41mp is far higher than any other 8mp on todays high end phones. a basic dslr might be able to outperform it, but hardly noone walks around with a DSLR around their neck. This is a phone and it will most likely have the best camera seen in phones for a very long time or until another gen of nokias is released or when someone else copies the idea. Just because it might be worse than a basic DSLR doesnt mean its photos will be shit.also a 41mp camera is miles better marketing than a prettier screen.[/citation]

think of a standard consumer 12mp camera, at 12 mp, it comes out looking like crap, but once you crop it down to 3-5mp, it looks great. most dslr dont need to be cropped to make the image look better, and if they do, its FAR less of a crop or you did something wrong.

the camera at 41 mp is not very good, but i put the image quality at just slightly worse than a sony cybershot 8ish mp, i dont know the exact number. and thats image quality without a crop

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]This is because the 808 isn't a penta-band device. As a result, it is only compatible with AT&T's 3G network.[/citation]

Greetings Jane.

I would like to point out that the Nokia 808 PureView it is indeed a Pentaband device, as with previous Nokia devices. The Tmobile 2g speeds fact was a typo made by Nokia Conversations. Here's the source

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/06/19/update-nokia-808-pureview-works-fine-on-t-mobile-too-not-2g-only-speeds/

Here's the quote from Nokia Conversations

UPDATE: We incorrectly stated that the Nokia 808 PureView would only work with T-Mobile at 2G speeds. This was caused by an error in the spec sheet. We’re sorry about any confusion. The Nokia 808 PureView works just fine with T-Mobile in the United States.

I don't understand half the commenter's minds. Hit up Engadget and you have comparison of this Pureview to a typical mirrorless DSLR. It comes pretty damn close. What does that say about the whole "DSLR, pixel is not everything, mumble mumble" argument? How about hit up some sources and compare the images before shouting the typical pixel is not everything argument in the forum?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I don't understand half the commenter's minds. Hit up Engadget and you have comparison of this Pureview to a typical mirrorless DSLR. It comes pretty damn close. What does that say about the whole "DSLR, pixel is not everything, mumble mumble" argument? How about hit up some sources and compare the images before shouting the typical pixel is not everything argument in the forum?[/citation]

have no clue where that is, i only found one comparing it to other cellphones, which there is no comparison

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I don't understand half the commenter's minds. Hit up Engadget and you have comparison of this Pureview to a typical mirrorless DSLR. It comes pretty damn close. What does that say about the whole "DSLR, pixel is not everything, mumble mumble" argument? How about hit up some sources and compare the images before shouting the typical pixel is not everything argument in the forum?[/citation]
I find that the camera itself does not make the picture, but the lenses and various combinations of filters that can add real value to a picture, maybe if a Nokia were to cut a deal with Canon or some other company to allow the same click connector for their lenses to go on the back of a phone, a 200/75 long lens stuck on the back of a smartphone may give the traditional camera market a big kick in the ass
OK, yes it would look stupid, but never underestimate the power of a stupid idea, how do you think toastiebags made it to market?

Status
Not open for further replies.