Question Confirmed R/W speeds but not.

Jun 26, 2022
I'm new and not sure how everything works but im using a 512GB m.2 ssd and the boot seems ok but whenever im downloading games or really anything the read and write speeds are in the 1-10MB/s range when its supposed to be in the 1500-2000MB/s range and so i tested it using an ssd benchmarker and i scored the rated 1500-2000MB/s range and looked at task manager whilst the testbench was happening and it confirmed it so im confused because it seems when i download anything it won't use full utilization.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm new and not sure how everything works but im using a 512GB m.2 ssd and the boot seems ok but whenever im downloading games or really anything the read and write speeds are in the 1-10MB/s range when its supposed to be in the 1500-2000MB/s range and so i tested it using an ssd benchmarker and i scored the rated 1500-2000MB/s range and looked at task manager whilst the testbench was happening and it confirmed it so im confused because it seems when i download anything it won't use full utilization.
Correct. It won't use full utilization. Why? There isn't enough data to keep it busy. When it writes, it does write at 1500MB/s. BUT, it does it for 1/1000 of a second. Why? Because that is all the data there is to be written. So the average taken over 1 to 5 seconds will be much lower. What is reported to you is the average over time. NOT the instantaneous write speed.
The slowest link in the chain will determine performance.

Jun 26, 2022
Well appreciate the help not really much i can do because my my great grandpa refuses to have someone come help us with our internet because considering what you said my stuff should be at the same speed as our internet and our plan is 400MB/s but we've been having issues with the internet.

Jun 26, 2022
I haven't figured it out yet but i think there really is an issue because i just went into my setting and looked at the wifi settings details and it says the in and out transfer rate is 72/72MB/s.

kanewolf

Titan
I haven't figured it out yet but i think there really is an issue because i just went into my setting and looked at the wifi settings details and it says the in and out transfer rate is 72/72MB/s.
72Mbit (not Mbyte MB) is an indication of using 2.4Ghz WIFI. You will be limited to about 35Mbit transfer rate which is about 4MB/s throughput.
What router and WIFI adapter do you have ?

Jun 26, 2022
nevermind figured it out i went over it with my great grandpa and learned that our internet plan isnt actually 400MB/s like thought it was it's actually 400Mbps so yeah crap for what we need to do.

USAFRet

Titan
nevermind figured it out i went over it with my great grandpa and learned that our internet plan isnt actually 400MB/s like thought it was it's actually 400Mbps so yeah crap for what we need to do.
400mbps is NOT "crap"
Unless you have a couple of dozen hard core users on it all the time.

My current speed from my ISP is 100/100. I could get 500/500, or gigabit if I chose.
But in no case over the last several years have I seen ANY need to upgrade.