[SOLVED] Confirming new CPU as the issue behind lag/stuttering?

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
First of all, specs:

MOBO: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600 (W/ COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO)

GPU: GIGABYTE 3070

RAM: 8GB DDR (x2)

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 750W

STORAGE: SSD (x2)

OK, so I decided to upgrade my CPU. I upgraded from the Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 5 5600g. At the same time, I replaced the cooler master with Corsair liquid cooling. I set everything up, etc, etc., and noticed on the start-up that the PC was stuttering loads. {Temperatures were not high, and the motherboard is compatible with the CPU.} I swapped the CPUs back (back to the old 2600), and the problem went away, but I guessed anyway that the software and all had to be updated. So, I put the 5600g back in and did the following:

1. Applied new thermal paste
  2. Cleared CMOS/reset BIOS to defaults
  3. Updated BIOS
  4. Removed all chipset drivers
  5. Made sure there was no auto-overclocking -- but, like I say anyway, temps were not high (liquid cooler was on)

None of these steps worked, so I did a clean install of Windows. And still, the problem didn't go away, so I put my 2600 back in and, of course, the problem went away.

This leads me to believe that the issue rests with the new CPU (5600g). I believe that the issue isn't with excess power consumption, because when calculating approx. wattage, 750w seems adequate, and, from AMD's specs, the 2600 and the 5600 are both approx. <65w.
I also don't believe that it's an issue with the motherboard because, like I say, they're compatible and the motherboard isn't that outdated.

However, please, if you can, tell me I'm wrong. I want it to be a solvable issue as I'd love to use the new CPU! But, please, let me know your thoughts.

Solution
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 106961.12150
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation
this is basic microsoft storage driver, there should be another driver running on top of it
see device manager if there are any non microsoft storage drivers installed (sata/nvme) and uninstall them
you can find them in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and under Storage controllers
First of all, specs:

OK, so I decided to upgrade my CPU. I upgraded from the Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 5 5600g. At the same time, I replaced the cooler master with Corsair liquid cooling. I set everything up, etc, etc., and noticed on the start-up that the PC was stuttering loads. {Temperatures were not high, and the motherboard is compatible with the CPU.} I swapped the CPUs back (back to the old 2600), and the problem went away, but I guessed anyway that the software and all had to be updated. So, I put the 5600g back in and did the following:

3. Updated BIOS
  5. Made sure there was no auto-overclocking -- but, like I say anyway, temps were not high (liquid cooler was on)
None of these steps worked, so I did a clean install of Windows. And still, the problem didn't go away, so I put my 2600 back in and, of course, the problem went away.

This leads me to believe that the issue rests with the new CPU (5600g). I believe that the issue isn't with excess power consumption, because when calculating approx. wattage, 750w seems adequate, and, from AMD's specs, the 2600 and the 5600 are both approx. <65w.
I also don't believe that it's an issue with the motherboard because, like I say, they're compatible and the motherboard isn't that outdated.

However, please, if you can, tell me I'm wrong. I want it to be a solvable issue as I'd love to use the new CPU! But, please, let me know your thoughts.
Remove the gpu and test with the 5600 igp.....any diff?

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Remove the gpu and test with the 5600 igp.....any diff?

Hi,

No difference. Messed around with those settings, too, a bit, e.g., manually disabling igp in BIOS/reinstalling NVIDIA drivers.

What I might add, if I forgot, is that the stuttering is usually at start-up. That is, I'll arrive at the home screen, the Windows audio will lag, the mouse will be sort of dragging around and everything will be slow to load... and then after a couple of minutes, it starts to resume normality. Also, when I try and restart or shut down, it gets caught on the restart/shutdown screen for AGES, sometimes eventually going to blue screen (kernel power state failure).

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
When you updated the bios, did you step or just install the latest, sometimes there's a necessity to also update media files with the G series, also any updates do not necessarily contain prior fixes.

Could you elaborate, please? I flashed the BIOS to latest version (though do you mean a particular version if latest might not contain prior fixes?). I also updated all drivers from the motherboard site.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That doesn't sound like a gpu swap issue, that sounds like a registry/bios conflictor possibly a driver conflict. Removing the motherboard chipset drivers isn't helping, those should be upto date.

Try opening a CMD with Admin privileges (it's in the other Start menu.
Type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
(make sure spaces are correct)
Type: sfc /scannow
Let them do their thing. See if that helps.

Could you elaborate, please? I flashed the BIOS to latest version (though do you mean a particular version if latest might not contain prior fixes?). I also updated all drivers from the motherboard site.
msi doesnt have any notes in bios updates for you mainboard, many other mainboards have, so going from first bios release right away to latest shouldnt be a problem

What I might add, if I forgot, is that the stuttering is usually at start-up. That is, I'll arrive at the home screen, the Windows audio will lag, the mouse will be sort of dragging around and everything will be slow to load... and then after a couple of minutes, it starts to resume normality
this sounds like incompatible driver
try running latencymon if it opens and starts recording before it stops lagging
otherwise windows performance counters would be next step

also post pls picture of zentimings

First of all, specs:

3. Updated BIOS

You said you removed the chipset driver did you then install the latest chipset driver?

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
msi doesnt have any notes in bios updates for you mainboard, many other mainboards have, so going from first bios release right away to latest shouldnt be a problem

Hi,

Latencymon seems to be picking up something:

_
CONCLUSION
_
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:23 (h🇲🇲ss) on all processors.

_
SYSTEM INFORMATION
_
Computer name: DESKTOP-8V60CP4
OS version: Windows 11, 10.0, version 2009, build: 22000 (x64)
Hardware: MS-7B79, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BIOS: H.F0
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics
Logical processors: 12
Processor groups: 1
Processor group size: 12
RAM: 14226 MB total

_
CPU SPEED
_
Reported CPU speed (WMI): 3901 MHz
Reported CPU speed (registry): 3893 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

_
MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
_
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 107445.20
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 3846.044740

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 106980.40
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 3833.389595

_
REPORTED ISRs
_
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 19.925764
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.000462
Driver with highest ISR total time: HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.000576

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 355
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

_
REPORTED DPCs
_
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.379131
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.390780

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 9019
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs): 9
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 10

_
REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
_
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: latmon.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 69
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 17
Number of processes hit: 11

_
PER CPU DATA
_
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.395056
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 19.925764
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.001625
CPU 0 ISR count: 355
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 106961.12150
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 0.650640
CPU 0 DPC count: 1132
_
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.024689
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 1 ISR count: 0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 284.590804
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000423
CPU 1 DPC count: 31
_
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.573870
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 106931.778834
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.326106
CPU 2 DPC count: 1575
_
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.786063
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 469.542769
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.002402
CPU 3 DPC count: 1899
_
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.544681
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 4 ISR count: 0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 219.383766
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.004732
CPU 4 DPC count: 242
_
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.018809
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 5 ISR count: 0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 445.249165
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000949
CPU 5 DPC count: 214
_
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.240548
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 6 ISR count: 0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 285.181865
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.002693
CPU 6 DPC count: 978
_
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.465757
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 7 ISR count: 0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 471.496275
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.004788
CPU 7 DPC count: 2527
_
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.016816
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 8 ISR count: 0
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs): 19.454919
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000666
CPU 8 DPC count: 130
_
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.232502
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 9 ISR count: 0
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs): 106926.609556
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s): 0.107718
CPU 9 DPC count: 138
_
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.118845
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 10 ISR count: 0
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs): 50.430516
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000736
CPU 10 DPC count: 107
_
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.127078
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 11 ISR count: 0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs): 53.646288
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s): 0.000896
CPU 11 DPC count: 65
_

Last edited:

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013

Zentimings: View: https://imgur.com/a/fIgn0uX

thank you

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
That doesn't sound like a gpu swap issue, that sounds like a registry/bios conflictor possibly a driver conflict. Removing the motherboard chipset drivers isn't helping, those should be upto date.

Try opening a CMD with Admin privileges (it's in the other Start menu.
Type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
(make sure spaces are correct)
Type: sfc /scannow
Let them do their thing. See if that helps.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. No integrity violations or other errors found

this is basic microsoft storage driver, there should be another driver running on top of it
see device manager if there are any non microsoft storage drivers installed (sata/nvme) and uninstall them
you can find them in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and under Storage controllers

Solution

Conleak

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013

Hi,

I've got two AMD SATA drivers under IDE ATA/ATAPI ... should I uninstall these? I tried to roll back these drivers as per readings online but couldn't find a way

TRENDING THREADS