[SOLVED] Conflicting SMART Test Results

Dec 20, 2020
Hi everyone,

Recently when I've been booting my laptop up I keep getting a failed SMART test message:
YUgYFDW.png

So I've downloaded the WD DLGDiag tool and ran a detailed scan to get this result:

dfilw8J.png

and
zZtEzun.png

Overall it's saying the drive passes as well:

98pGuTu.png

However when I run the SMART test in Windows it keeps saying the drive is about to fail:

eLaI0BA.png

Some details about this HDD: It's about 2 years old, it's a SSHD, it really hasn't been stressed that much and has been kept about half full, and it's in a laptop (minor to moderate shaking while operating), never been dropped, no unusual noises coming from the drive, it does get a bit warm from time to time though (usually when updating world of warships for some reason).

Any ideas why I'm getting these conflicting results? Should I expect this drive to die on me randomly? Will it last a couple months until I can upgrade to a newer PC? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Solution
This is actually not uncommon.
1 applications says all is OK, another says death is imminent.

You want to believe all is OK.
In reality, even if that one was totally correct, it could still die at any moment. Like...as I'm typing this.
Or it might last another 5 years.

Always operate with the concept that it could die in the next 0.25 sec.

RealBeast

Titan
I would continue to use the drive, but this is a great time to reexamine your backup methods.

Any drive can die at any time regardless of SMART values, Backblaze follows a set of SMART values to predict failure, yet over 20% of drives dies with no SMART errors. The article is worth a quick look.

USAFRet

Titan
This is actually not uncommon.
1 applications says all is OK, another says death is imminent.

You want to believe all is OK.
In reality, even if that one was totally correct, it could still die at any moment. Like...as I'm typing this.
Or it might last another 5 years.

Always operate with the concept that it could die in the next 0.25 sec.

Solution
Dec 20, 2020
Thanks for the info and fast reply guys, much appreciated! I guess I'll continue updating all my backups to the cloud then, and just assume this drive is a ticking time-bomb. I'm glad it waited until after I submitted my thesis to do this though!

Thanks again! :)