[SOLVED] Confused about difference between these two Silverstone Cases...

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I'm comparing the Silverstone GD04 and the Silverstone GD05. These cases are almost identical except the GD04 supports a Slim ODD and has a slightly different button/port layout on the front, while the GD05 supports a full size ODD. If you look inside the cases (according to website) they actually use the exact same ODD bracket. This bracket, if removed, allows for a taller CPU cooler, but left in place the tallest CPU cooler allowed is 70mm.

Okay, here's what I don't get. If you look at the front of each case, you'll see that the GD04 has a smaller slot for the slim DVD. Fair enough, but what's that little button for below it? Logically, it seems to be the eject button. But I've never seen a slim DVD with a separate eject button. Does silverstone supply a button with a cable that somehow plugs into the slim DVD?

I ask because I'm considering getting the GD04, using a slim DVD drive, and then physically adapting the metal bracket so that it's shallower but still supports the slim drive. This way, I can use a stock AMD cooler and save a few bucks from having to buy a 3rd party cooler that's under 70mm, but still have a Slim DVD.

BTW, can anyone point me to stats for the stock cooler on the AMD Ryzen 7 2700? It uses the AMD Wraith Cooler, right?

GD04
https://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=233&area=en

GD05
https://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=241&area=en

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I think you're mistaken here. It's not a slot for a slim DVD drive, but an open slot for just the tray of a standard DVD drive.

GDD4 Manual
GDD5 Manual

See page 3 of each manual. They both show standard optical drives.

-Wolf sends

No, they are clearly different. Here are the front panels. Notice the little button with the white arrow beneath the drive bay slot? (website links are in my OP)

GD04 (image from website)
GD04B-Front.jpg

GD05 (image from website)
GD05B-Front.jpg

When you look INSIDE the boxes, they look exactly the same eitehr because they are or because someone at Sliverstone just got lazy and used the GD05 images in place of the GD04.
GD04B-2.0-Top-rear-3-4-1-view.jpg

and...
GD04B-Interior.jpg

That bracket in the top left of this view is what I'm talking about. You can remove it entirely and allow more room for the CPU cooler. But as you see, they used the same full ODD size bracket for the GD05 as they do for the GD04. I imagine you just use different screw holes for the slim drive and then have wasted space below....

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Again, the opening for the optical drive on the GDD4 is only for the TRAY of the drive. The button below it corresponds to the location of the eject button on the drive.

Ah, okay, I finally get it. GD04 covers over the front of the DVD drive face offering one opening for the tray and one for the eject button, but the GD05's larger opening just let's the entire face of the DVD tray & button be exposed.

So there really is no difference between the GD04 and GD05 except possible color variations and the type and thickness of the metal? The front panel changes are just to offer a different cosmetic look but functions and options are the same?

So for the GD05 I couldn't use a slim DVD even if I wanted to. Or rather, if I did use a slim DVD in the GD05 it would look terrible because there would be a gap below it.

But the GD04 tray hole is smaller. Do you think I could use a slim DVD for the GD04 but then just have a hole where the eject button goes or would the slim tray never even fit the GD04 tray opening designed for the full?

Last edited:

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I don't know how you'd mount a slim drive in that location. I'm sure the mount points are different between a slim drive and a standard drive.

-Wolf sends

Inside the case there's a bracket for the full size ODD. I could always drill new holes in it to rig support for the slim drive. It's really about whether or not the front panel tray opening for the GD04 happens to be the right side for a slim DVD tray. I wouldn't really want to try to cut a bigger tray opening as that will surly look bad, but inside the case I'm confident I could rig something to hold it properly.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what kind of clearance I have for a CPU cooler but I'd like to keep an internal DVD player if possible. Silverstone says 70mm with the ODD, or 120mm if I remove the bracket. By modifying the bracket and using the tray slot for a slim instead of a full I was hoping to have my cake and eat it.... maybe allowing for a cooler bigger than 70mm but significantly less than a 120mm.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
What do you have against <70mm coolers? Get a Cryorig C7 and call it a day!

-Wolf sends

I love your candor Wolf, but this is just part of a larger equation. I'm trying to figure out what I have against AMD Wraith Stock Fans, but I can't find any official stats for any of them. Seroiusly, no one seems to have specifications on these stock fans.

And I've got other trouble just getting a straight answer between Intel and AMD, where the best place is to locate my build, and what's the best way to make it happen.

I love and very much appreciate the advice I get from these forums, but for and ignoramus like me, it's sometimes hard to understand where getting opposite answer to the same question is any better than getting no answer at all. What's the point of getting a bunch of people giving you advice if they don't agree with each other and refuse to discus or refute each other's arguments. I mean, I know it's important to keep things civil and not offend, but there has to be some kind of middle ground.

Anyway, for what it's worth, go ahead and have the best answer and all the likes I can give you even if I'm still looking.

Thanks for the help.