Question Confused about my memory usage

Memory usage shown in the Processes tab is from the "Private Working Set" value. This only the memory that the application has access to, including data that resides in the page file, if there is any in there.

Memory usage shown in the Performance tab is from the "Working Set" value. This value includes the "Private Working Set" value, plus memory mapped files (like DLLs), among other things. The difference is basically which one accounts for shared data and which one doesn't.

You can see the "Working Set" value per process in the Details tab, but you have to enable it first.

EDIT: If you're worried about what value to look at to make sure you have enough RAM in your system, then even more confusingly, neither of these values are what you should pay attention to. The value you should pay attention to is "Commit Charge"

Why? This is the "Working Set" value plus the memory that Windows has promised to give to the app if it needs more of it. So "Commit Charge" is actually the total amount of memory space the app is taking up, as far as memory management in the OS is concerned.

Although it's not too bad if the "Commit Charge" exceeds the amount of physical RAM. Any unused portions of this can easily be dumped into the page file since there's no actual data to copy.

Last edited:

Selathiel

Honorable
Dec 30, 2016
Memory usage shown in the Processes tab is from the "Private Working Set" value. This only the memory that the application has access to, including data that resides in the page file, if there is any in there.

Memory usage shown in the Performance tab is from the "Working Set" value. This value includes the "Private Working Set" value, plus memory mapped files (like DLLs), among other things. The difference is basically which one accounts for shared data and which one doesn't.

You can see the "Working Set" value per process in the Details tab, but you have to enable it first.

EDIT: If you're worried about what value to look at to make sure you have enough RAM in your system, then even more confusingly, neither of these values are what you should pay attention to. The value you should pay attention to is "Commit Charge"

Why? This is the "Working Set" value plus the memory that Windows has promised to give to the app if it needs more of it. So "Commit Charge" is actually the total amount of memory space the app is taking up, as far as memory management in the OS is concerned.

Although it's not too bad if the "Commit Charge" exceeds the amount of physical RAM. Any unused portions of this can easily be dumped into the page file since there's no actual data to copy.
So all is well and this is okay? I dont know in depth stuff about pcs besides general parts and building my own which is this one so I am kind of lost with all these terms

TRENDING THREADS