[SOLVED] Confused about PCIe lanes in the Specs. Need some help.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I'm looking to build a very inexpensive budget gaming PC based on the Intel H410 chipset platform. According to the Intel secs, the H410 chipset only has 6 PCIe lanes. Yet the H410 boards also have a PCIe x16 slot. That's 16 lanes right there.
And some add a PCIe 3.0 x2/x4 M.2 slot besides. More lanes. Can someone explain the lanes discrepancy for me?

Solution
The chipset has lanes, and the cpu has lanes. they are independent of each other.

Some slots are connected straight to the cpu, while others are connected to the chipset.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks folks. Question I've had for a long time. Now I see. (y)
What also isn't clear on the Intel specs is that the SATA and USB ports actually use PCIe lanes. internally. The best way to understand the architecture is to look for a block diagram.
Looking at H410 motherboard pictures, it looks like 1 M.2 storage slot, and one PCIe x1 slot is typical. The additional lane is probably reserved for built-in WIFI on some motherboards.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
What also isn't clear on the Intel specs is that the SATA and USB ports actually use PCIe lanes. internally. The best way to understand the architecture is to look for a block diagram.
Looking at H410 motherboard pictures, it looks like 1 M.2 storage slot, and one PCIe x1 slot is typical. The additional lane is probably reserved for built-in WIFI on some motherboards.
SATA and USB use PCIe lanes? I thought SATA, USB, and PCIe were three different interfaces with their own buss to the CPU.