Question Confused about RAM/CPU timings, can I improve the performance of my system?

skuee

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2013
Hello everyone!
My system is currently running without any problems but I'm kind of confused about ram timings and stuff so I was wondering if there is any optimizations I can do or anything wrong with my system at all.

Here is my current system

Intel Core i5-8600K
CPU HFM (Base): 3600.0 MHz = 36 x 100.0 MHz
CPU Current: 4300.0 MHz = 43 x 100.0 MHz @ 1.2897 V
ASUS TUF Z-370 PLUS GAMING (Official website says DDR4 4000MHz support)
VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black

HWiNFO
Maximum Supported Memory Clock: 1333.3 MHz
Current Memory Clock: 1500.0 MHz
Current Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 16-20-20-38

My question is that it says maximum supported memory clock is 1333.3 (multipled by 2 from what I understand so it is 2666)
Is my memory not perfoming at maximum performance since it is 3000 (XPM profile is enabled on BIOS)

Also I'm planning to upgrade to 32GB. Here is a question, I have another set on my 2nd PC that works when I install it to this setup
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit - RED

• Is it okay to use those 2 different sets of rams if they are working without any problems (no BSOD)

• If it is not okay, can I buy another set of LPX 2x8gb set (exact copy of my current set) and install it to have 4x8gb

• If both those options are not available, I'll buy a new set of 2x16GB. Do I see an improvement if I were to buy a new set with 3600MHz or higher speed ?

Oo1Pymg.png

ICZ01HW.png

BNLI6VQ.png

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
  • Is it okay to use those 2 different sets of rams if they are working without any problems (no BSOD)

• If it is not okay, can I buy another set of LPX 2x8gb set (exact copy of my current set) and install it to have 4x8gb

• If both those options are not available, I'll buy a new set of 2x16GB. Do I see an improvement if I were to buy a new set with 3600MHz or higher speed ?
1. Yes if it works it works. Run memtest64 to make sure.
2. Buying the so called exact memory could actually be made with different parts no guarantee it will work.
3. Probably not if you had a AMD system yes but Intel is not as memory speed dependent.

On a side note check task manager while your doing what you use your PC for if your not using most of the 16gb then adding more will probably not improve anything.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

" My system is currently running without any problems".

Remember the saying about "If it ain't broke then don't fix it".

Barring some specific and disruptive probem leave things alone.

How is your system being used? Gaming, video editing, coding, etc.?

Four points:

1) The application software will only use the amount of RAM it was designed to use so adding RAM in any configuration may not gain any advantage in speed/performance.

2) The motherboard determines what RAM can be installed and in what supported configurations and timings. That information is provided via the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and the QVL on the manufacturer's website. Often varies by motherboard model and version.

3) The performance may still be held back by some other component or configuration setting. Overall performance will be determined by the slowest performing component.

4) The timings etc. may be increased somewhat but the results may not even be noticeable in actual use.

My recommendation is to continue to do as you are doing: Monitor performance, configurations etc..

Learn to use other avilable tools: Task Manager, Resource Monitor/History, Reliability History, Event Viewer, Process Explorer, Update History.

Note: Process Explorer (Microsoft, free):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Learn more about what is what and when (and only when) there is a specific problem or requirement then consider possible solutions.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

skuee

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2013
I'm mostly using my computer for gaming but 16gb is not enough, I'm always having problems with having not enough ram storage because opening multiple games + browsers/twitch/videos on the side etc. So I definitely need 32gb of ram.

The most important part of my question is "if I were to buy a new 2x16gb ram, should I aim for something like 3400/3600Mhz or even faster since the price difference is not a lot".

Hello everyone!
My system is currently running without any problems but I'm kind of confused about ram timings and stuff so I was wondering if there is any optimizations I can do or anything wrong with my system at all.

Here is my current system

Intel Core i5-8600K
CPU HFM (Base): 3600.0 MHz = 36 x 100.0 MHz
CPU Current: 4300.0 MHz = 43 x 100.0 MHz @ 1.2897 V
ASUS TUF Z-370 PLUS GAMING (Official website says DDR4 4000MHz support)
VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black

HWiNFO
Maximum Supported Memory Clock: 1333.3 MHz
Current Memory Clock: 1500.0 MHz
Current Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 16-20-20-38

My question is that it says maximum supported memory clock is 1333.3 (multipled by 2 from what I understand so it is 2666)
Is my memory not perfoming at maximum performance since it is 3000 (XPM profile is enabled on BIOS)

Also I'm planning to upgrade to 32GB. Here is a question, I have another set on my 2nd PC that works when I install it to this setup
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit - RED

Oo1Pymg.png

ICZ01HW.png

BNLI6VQ.png
If you add the 2nd set of ram and the pc see's all 32GB and runs at 3000 speed with no problems leave it alone.
Little to be gained by buying all new faster ram.

Ram speed makes little difference to intel processors.
Here is an older study:
spoiler... not much difference.
16gb you have now may or may not be sufficient.
When you have everything going, access task manager/resource monitor/memory tab and look at the hard fault rate column.
Hard faults are bad and indicate a shortage of ram.

On your motherboard, the spec of 2666 is the speed at which you can boot into the bios.
There, you can set higher speeds if your ram is capable.
Assuming you want 32gb, safest is to buy a 2 x 16gb kit.
Ram must be bought in a single matched kit to be guaranteed of proper operation.
Two identical part numbers may be different internally.
Intel is quite tolerant of mismatched ram.
Here is a g.skil 4000 speed kit of 2 x 16gb for $77:

Have you overclocked your 8600K?
Likely, you can do 4.8, the very best chips can do 5.0.

skuee

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2013
Ram speed makes little difference to intel processors.
Here is an older study:
spoiler... not much difference.
16gb you have now may or may not be sufficient.
When you have everything going, access task manager/resource monitor/memory tab and look at the hard fault rate column.
Hard faults are bad and indicate a shortage of ram.

On your motherboard, the spec of 2666 is the speed at which you can boot into the bios.
There, you can set higher speeds if your ram is capable.
Assuming you want 32gb, safest is to buy a 2 x 16gb kit.
Ram must be bought in a single matched kit to be guaranteed of proper operation.
Two identical part numbers may be different internally.
Intel is quite tolerant of mismatched ram.
Here is a g.skil 4000 speed kit of 2 x 16gb for $77:

Have you overclocked your 8600K?
Likely, you can do 4.8, the very best chips can do 5.0.

I'm running at 4300 currently because I'm using air cooler Corsair Hyper 412 and not experienced a lot in overclocking. Didn't want to damage the cpu