Question confused about temps on msi 970 gaming with fx8350

Feb 14, 2021
3
0
10
0
I know my setup is old but its all I can afford right now and I've had this setup for a few years. I've recently changed cases to one with better air flow as I was having overheating issues with my fx8350. Running both prime95 and furmark, my cpu socket doesn't get above 50 degrees and core doesn't go above 60 degrees, my rx 580 doesn't go above 75 degrees. However the 3 sensors on my motherboard are confusing me. Under 100 percent load, temp 1 and 2 sit around 48 degrees but temp 2 is reaching 84 degrees. What do these temps represent and are they an issue?

(I'm using Argus Monitor to control fans and monitor temps)

Thanks i advance.
 

madmatt30

Titan
Ambassador
Try hwmonitor instead, it'll at least give you some semblance of what temp 2 actually is.

I'd guess at a false reading in all honesty, the am3 platform is kind of sketchy on temp monitoring at best.

The general concensus is amd overdrive thermal margin for cpu temps and hwmonitor for everything else.

They're the most reliable monitors for the old fx platform by far.

Not familiar with argus monitor at all.
 
Feb 14, 2021
3
0
10
0
I've installed HWmonitor as suggested. The sensor that is high is TMPIN1
From doing some research using Google people are suggesting TMPIN1 is either NorthBridge or VRMs. Does anyone know if mid 80 degrees C is an acceptable temp for these or should I install additional cooling? I have 2 intake fans at the front, 2 fans on top and one at the back which push the air out of the case and I have a cooler master 212 Evo with a fan pulling the air out of the heating and towards the back fan. I currently have the front fans running at 60 per cent and the other fans (except cpu) running at 40 per cent.

I apologise for sounding like a noob, I'm still getting my head around cooling setups :)

Edit: Installing a small heat sink fan (from my old phenom stock cooler) behind the motherboard blowing onto the back of where the cpu goes has reduced the TMPIN1temps to around 65 degrees C under max load using Prime95. However it is really noisy now so if this is going to be a long term solution I will need to invest in a quieter fan.
 
Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY