Confused about temps

jraab22

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
I just built my first pc and am a little confused about what my temps should be. I had a tough time getting my arctic cooler freezer 7 pro on which may be why I'm worried. I have an e6750 on a gigabyte p35 ds3r board. I keep reading that I need to add 15 degrees to the temps reported in speedfan and coretemp. Last night I ran Orthos, on each core for about 9 hours. Here are the temps reported by speedfan this morning and shortly after I shut down orthos
Speedfan is 4.32
Coretemp is 0.95

Temp1 45
Temp2 46
Temp3 -2
HD0 36
HD1 37
Core0 43
Core1 43
10 minutes or so later
Temp1 44
Temp2 29
Temp3 -2
HD0 37
HD1 37
Core0 28
Core1 29

Coretemp gives roughly the same temperature (within a degree or so)
Tjunction 85

If I have to add 15 degrees then at load my core temp is 58. The processor is running at stock clock and voltages, although I'd like to overclock a small bit once I'm satisfied that everything is working as it should be at stock. I've several posts on temperatures and I'm just unclear as to what each of the different temps is for (well Temp1 vs Temp2) and whether I need to factor in a 15 degree error.

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
You are probably getting accurate readings and shouldn't add the 15 degrees. I would say under load 45C would probably be right, maybe a little warm... What are you running for a thermal compund, anything?

jraab22

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
AS5, I had a terrible time getting that cooler to stay on right. Everytime I'd go to put the board in it would come off. I removed all compound reseated it, and it came off again, but one of the mounting pins was bent and it took some work to get it all back together. At that point I couldnt get it fully off either to redo the arctic silver. I applied it like it seems most people do, very small amount spread thin, excess rubbed into the heatsink. If i hadn't had such a problem with the heatsink I likely wouldn't be worried about temp.

Everything seems to run smoothly, I can play GRAW or Farcry for a few hours and no signs of choppiness or anything. Temp on the cores quickly gets to the low 40's and stays there

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I would say you're probably okay, but with what you are running it should probably run a tad cooler. How hot is the room the PC is in?

jraab22

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Its probably a little warm in the room, I dont have a thermometer but probably 22C , and its in a P180, but its in one of those desks with the place to stick a tower so ventiliation isn't tremendous, also I have an x1950xt which I know is a very warm running card and I'm currently still using the stock cooler with it, I've seen it get as hot as 70C.

Also I havent had it for a full week yet, and supposedly artic silver 5 needs a "break in" of about 200 hours with several heat ups and cooldowns, which I probalby haven't completed yet