[SOLVED] Confused About UHD ?

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Ryzen 3600
16GB HyperX Ram
RX 580 GPU
1920x1080 LG monitor ( which has HDR enabled )

I am able to play UHD files and they look spectacular, on Youtube and via free trailers off the web.

But im confused because surely I shouldn't be able to play UHD content, just 1080p ?

Solution
You can always play higher resolution content on lower resolution screens it will just be scaled down to fit your resolution. In fact 4K would look better as it technically has more pixels that are being fitted to 1080P.

Basically your system is rendering it in 4K and outputting it to your 1080P screen. Its the same as Supersampling in games. What that does is is will render your game at a higher resolution, say 4K, and then compress the image down to 1080P. I do it for Diable 3 for example. my GTX 1080 can handle much higher resolutions for that game so it renders it at 4K and then compresses the image output down to 1080P. The game looks better and I need less AA as well.
You can always play higher resolution content on lower resolution screens it will just be scaled down to fit your resolution. In fact 4K would look better as it technically has more pixels that are being fitted to 1080P.

Basically your system is rendering it in 4K and outputting it to your 1080P screen. Its the same as Supersampling in games. What that does is is will render your game at a higher resolution, say 4K, and then compress the image down to 1080P. I do it for Diable 3 for example. my GTX 1080 can handle much higher resolutions for that game so it renders it at 4K and then compresses the image output down to 1080P. The game looks better and I need less AA as well.

Solution