Confused between Alienware Alpha and Lenovo y50...

Kavish Dabade

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Hey guys,

So I want to buy a new gaming device. my budget is $1100. The options I am looking at are Alienware Alpha and Lenovo y50. I am currently staying at a temporary place so building a PC rig and all is just way too much hassle. Is there any other device I should be looking at?. If not kindly give me the verdict on these both.

Thanks

Solution
These are pretty different products you're looking at. If portability is you're primary concern the Lenovo is obviously better but there's a number of other things to consider:

.The Alpha is technically more upgradeable allowing you to swap out CPUs

.Neither can upgrade GPU which is important to consider with the Alpha (It's a half PC so a lot of people have gotten upset over that)

.The Alpha is more powerful since overheating is less of an issue in the larger chasis

.The Alpha also can use desktop CPU's rather than mobile

.Although they have similar mobile GPU's the Alpha has a customized one from Nvidia (whatever that means) so it should be better

.The Alpha is way cheaper, you don't want their higher end models since the system...

Scannell24

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
These are pretty different products you're looking at. If portability is you're primary concern the Lenovo is obviously better but there's a number of other things to consider:

.The Alpha is technically more upgradeable allowing you to swap out CPUs

.Neither can upgrade GPU which is important to consider with the Alpha (It's a half PC so a lot of people have gotten upset over that)

.The Alpha is more powerful since overheating is less of an issue in the larger chasis

.The Alpha also can use desktop CPU's rather than mobile

.Although they have similar mobile GPU's the Alpha has a customized one from Nvidia (whatever that means) so it should be better

.The Alpha is way cheaper, you don't want their higher end models since the system would end up being severly bottlenecked by the GPU plus upgrading it yourself would cost less than getting the best model. I'd say grab a 4gig stick of laptop ram, throw it in the Alpha with a SSD and you should be golden.

Solution

cursedqt

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
Jesus why in the world would anyone buy Alienware.

1st.Its wayy to overpriced
2nd Look at number 1

You can get a lenovo thats build like a tank and just be sure that the GPU is Gddr5 not ddr3 and you have it

Scannell24

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

The Alpha is way cheaper than the Lenovo, although I would generally agree that Alienware is overpriced in this instance they were screwed by Valve on the SteamOS front and are selling the Alphas for cheap to get rid of them

The Alpha is not a laptop

Scannell24

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

But he wants a computer... that plays games, that is (semi?) portable.
So an Xbone doesn't fit the bill

cursedqt

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

and the lenovo will not?

Scannell24

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

It would. It's just a tradeoff thing like I mentioned before

TRENDING THREADS