Question confused buying laptop , help me

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
It's a nice laptop, this one seems to be the 8GB model. Unfortunately the RAM is soldered to the motherboard (very common on small laptops) so you won't be able to upgrade it. If you want a laptop to last several years then I would recommend a machine with either 16GB pre-installed or the ability to upgrade it.
oh thank u so much i didn't know it has soldered ram stick, so it's off the table, now i have 2 options:
  1. IdeaPad 5 15ITL05-A
  2. Vivobook K513eq

oh thank u so much i didn't know it has soldered ram stick, so it's off the table, now i have 2 options:
  1. IdeaPad 5 15ITL05-A
  2. Vivobook K513eq
I didn't realise but the newer IdeaPad 5's including this one also have soldered RAM that isn't upgradeable. Is that the 16GB version you have there?

The Vivobook K513eq does have one RAM slot but as this model already comes with 16GB there's no need for upgrades.

Some others worthy of consideration:

14"
https://www.hp.com/in-en/shop/lapto...14tu-6k9c3pa-1.html?facetref=633713b1222686c5

15"
https://www.hp.com/in-en/shop/hp-pavilion-laptop-15-eh2024au-681y8pa.html

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
I didn't realise but the newer IdeaPad 5's including this one also have soldered RAM that isn't upgradeable. Is that the 16GB version you have there?

The Vivobook K513eq does have one RAM slot but as this model already comes with 16GB there's no need for upgrades.

14"
https://www.hp.com/in-en/shop/lapto...14tu-6k9c3pa-1.html?facetref=633713b1222686c5

15"
ideapad 5 comes with 16 gb ram.
but vivobook comes with 8gb ram
so i have to upgrade it (if it's possible)

Last edited:

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020

14"

15"
as i know vivobook k513 support up to 16gb ram right? so there is no difference between Ideapad 5 (which comes with 16gb ram) and a Vivobook k513 which is upgraded to 16gb ram as it's the maximum , right?

i checked those hp laptops, not available in my country, but these are some other laptops i have found:
A . HP Victus 15 (core i5 12450H)
I'm not sure about the screen quality while watching movies
B. https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c07927239
C. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...000494?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F (storage hybrid 1tb hhd + 256gb ssd)

Last edited:
as i know vivobook k513 support up to 16gb ram right? so there is no difference between Ideapad 5 (which comes with 16gb ram) and a Vivobook k513 which is upgraded to 16gb ram as it's the maximum , right?
Yes it can as long as you don't get the i3 model, that has 4GB soldered to the motherboard instead of 8GB. There would be no difference between an upgraded Vivobook and an Ideapad 5 that comes with 16GB.

The Asus Vivobook 15 OLED k513EQ though that you were looking at (K513EQ) does seem to come with 16GB already.

So to round up on the laptops we have:

1. Asus Vivobook K513EQ
  2. Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ITL05-A (I'm assuming this is the one with the MX450 GPU)
  3. HP Victus 15
  4. Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3
  5. HP 15-ef2081ms

My two cents would be:

IdeaPad 5 15ITL05-A - Best all rounder - The best battery life of the bunch, relatively light for a 15.6" notebook and the MX450 gives it the option to do some light casual gaming on the side.

Asus Vivobook K513EQ - By far the most impressive display of all of them, some concerns about eye fatigue from the OLED panel with all day use. Battery life is a little on the short side but it otherwise has a nice balance of features and can do some light gaming like the Ideapad.

HP Victus 15 & Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3
These two are in a different performance class to the other laptops, they are much better at playing games at the expensive of weight and battery life. I don't think it matters which one you pick from these two.

In terms of which one you go for it really comes down to priorities. If portability is a priority and it's going to be carried regularly in a backpack, it's going to be used regularly on the battery and it will be used extensively as a work machine. Then then the Ideapad 5 would be my pick.
If performance is the priority then the Ideapad Gaming or the Victus are more appropriate, if I had to pick I would go with the HP Victus on the basis it's more recent and doesn't have a hard drive. The Vivobook is tempting with the OLED panel because movies will look fantastic but I think the Ideapad is a more appropriate choice if the laptop is going to be used for long hours on a regular basis.

I wouldn't bother with the HP 15-ef2081ms, the screen resolution is too low and it's nearest competitor the Ideapad 5 has a better balance of features.

Reactions: troyer1234567

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Yes it can as long as you don't get the i3 model, that has 4GB soldered to the motherboard instead of 8GB. There would be no difference between an upgraded Vivobook and an Ideapad 5 that comes with 16GB.

The Asus Vivobook 15 OLED k513EQ though that you were looking at (K513EQ) does seem to come with 16GB already.

So to round up on the laptops we have:

1. Asus Vivobook K513EQ
  2. Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ITL05-A (I'm assuming this is the one with the MX450 GPU)
  3. HP Victus 15
  4. Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3
  5. HP 15-ef2081ms
My two cents would be:

IdeaPad 5 15ITL05-A - Best all rounder - The best battery life of the bunch, relatively light for a 15.6" notebook and the MX450 gives it the option to do some light casual gaming on the side.

Asus Vivobook K513EQ - By far the most impressive display of all of them, some concerns about eye fatigue from the OLED panel with all day use. Battery life is a little on the short side but it otherwise has a nice balance of features and can do some light gaming like the Ideapad.

HP Victus 15 & Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3
These two are in a different performance class to the other laptops, they are much better at playing games at the expensive of weight and battery life. I don't think it matters which one you pick from these two.

In terms of which one you go for it really comes down to priorities. If portability is a priority and it's going to be carried regularly in a backpack, it's going to be used regularly on the battery and it will be used extensively as a work machine. Then then the Ideapad 5 would be my pick.
If performance is the priority then the Ideapad Gaming or the Victus are more appropriate, if I had to pick I would go with the HP Victus on the basis it's more recent and doesn't have a hard drive. The Vivobook is tempting with the OLED panel because movies will look fantastic but I think the Ideapad is a more appropriate choice if the laptop is going to be used for long hours on a regular basis.

I wouldn't bother with the HP 15-ef2081ms, the screen resolution is too low and it's nearest competitor the Ideapad 5 has a better balance of features.
thank u so much you are the only one who answers me here ❤️
i found 2 more laptops and the search is done i guess, now there are 4 laptops on my final list:
1. ideapad 5
2.vivobook k513eq
3.HP 255 G8 (ryzen 5700u and 16gb ram, i guess 1tb ssd)
4.Vivobook M513U (8gb ram, i guess 4gb is soldered to mb and 4gb is switchable and can put 16gb instead of that so we can have 20gb ram, I'm not sure)

i was searching forums, i read that buying a laptop which has ryzen 5700u is better than buying a laptop which has 1165g7 because:
A. ryzen has 8 cores so it will run better in future as it has 4 more cores and would get old 2 or 3 years later than 1165g7 gets old.
B. ryzen has 8 core so the tasks would be divided between all cores and use less energy and also the cpu is 7nm but 1165g7 is 10nm, so ryzen uses less energy.
so i guess although hp g8 255 has lower battery power, it has better battery life , i mean i can use it for more hours before it gets to 0% and shut down, right?

what do you think?

i was searching forums, i read that buying a laptop which has ryzen 5700u is better than buying a laptop which has 1165g7 because:
A. ryzen has 8 cores so it will run better in future as it has 4 more cores and would get old 2 or 3 years later than 1165g7 gets old.
Yes the Ryzen 5700U is a much better CPU than the i7 1165g7, the i7 has slightly faster cores but the Ryzen has double the cores. I would expect it to hold up better over time because those extra 4 cores will help it cope should software demands increase.

If everything else was equal then it would be the better choice. However your not just buying a CPU, your buying a laptop. If other aspects of the 11th gen laptop are better, such as it has a better screen, it has better build quality. Then I would choose that over the Ryzen 7 laptop.

B. ryzen has 8 core so the tasks would be divided between all cores and use less energy and also the cpu is 7nm but 1165g7 is 10nm, so ryzen uses less energy.
In this case yes the 5700U is more power efficient than the 1165g7. However whether you get better battery life out of it depends on the laptops your comparing. My expectation would be the Ideapad 5 and HP 255 G8 wouldn't be too dissimilar in battery life.

1. ideapad 5
2.vivobook k513eq
3.HP 255 G8 (ryzen 5700u and 16gb ram, i guess 1tb ssd)
4.Vivobook M513U (8gb ram, i guess 4gb is soldered to mb and 4gb is switchable and can put 16gb instead of that so we can have 20gb ram, I'm not sure)

Do you have links or full spces for the HP 255 and the M513U? If the HP comes with the TN panel then I wouldn't consider it.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Do you have links or full spces for the HP 255 and the M513U? If the HP comes with the TN panel then I wouldn't consider it.
HP 255 G8 R7-C
Ryzen 5700U, 15.6" IPS FHD, 16GB ram (i don't know if it has 2×8gb or 1×16gb, you know for ryzen apus, dual channel is really in need), 41wh battery, 1tb ssd

for vivobook m513u-L1305 (5700u,16gb ram, 1tb ssd):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Vivobook-7-5700U-Backlit-Keyboard/dp/B09GKL6DB7 (this one has 512gb ssd but the one I found in local market in my town was L1305 which has 1tb ssd)
or

Last edited:

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
I've asked the guy in the store he said that the HP 255 G8 R7-C has 1×16gb 3200mhz ram so it's not dual channel , so the vega graphics won't work at it's best and this laptop is off the table too
now there is ideapad 5 and Vivobook m513

I've asked the guy in the store he said that the HP 255 G8 R7-C has 1×16gb 3200mhz ram so it's not dual channel , so the vega graphics won't work at it's best and this laptop is off the table too
now there is ideapad 5 and Vivobook m513
Yes you will need dual channel to get the most out of it.

It's a tricky one, I would like to say Vivobook due to the OLED panel and the 8 core Ryzen CPU. However if it were me I would lean towards the Lenovo Ideapad 5 for these reasons:
-Better battery life
-Nvidia MX450 GPU
-Better keyboard (and backlit)
-Does not use PWM to control display brightness
-No risk of burn-in

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Yes you will need dual channel to get the most out of it.

It's a tricky one, I would like to say Vivobook due to the OLED panel and the 8 core Ryzen CPU. However if it were me I would lean towards the Lenovo Ideapad 5 for these reasons:
-Better battery life
-Nvidia MX450 GPU
-Better keyboard (and backlit)
-Does not use PWM to control display brightness
-No risk of burn-in
how many hours is the difference between two batteries?
I don't care about the gpu so it's not a problem
what's the difference between their keyboards? i think both have backlit
i don't know what's pwm
how much is the risk of burn-in? is it too much?

how many hours is the difference between two batteries?
Battery life will be heavily dependant on how you use the laptop. However from the reviews I've read your looking at up to 8 hours for the Asus and 11 hours for the Lenovo. The Lenovo has a larger 70Wh battery and the Asus a 42Wh.

I don't care about the gpu so it's not a problem
Fair enough.

what's the difference between their keyboards? i think both have backlit
There's very little in it they are quite similar keyboards. However the impression I get is the Lenovo is slightly more comfortable to type on. There seem to be multiple versions of the Asus and not all come with a backlit keyboard. As long as the one your looking at states it does then that's fine.

i don't know what's pwm
PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation, it's a type of digital signal that's used in electronics. For the OLED model of the Asus PWM is used to regulate the brightness. In this case the screen brightness is identical at all brightness levels, it just turns the screen on and off very fast to give the perception of a particular brightness. This is what can cause eye strain over longer periods with OLED panels.

I may actually be looking at the wrong laptop, it's a little confusing due to the different configurations. If it's M513UA-BQ107T then this seems to have an IPS panel that does not use PWM.

how much is the risk of burn-in? is it too much?
With proper care the risk of burn in is low, this only applies to the OLED model.

The lenovo ideapad 5 model i mentioned has 57Wh battery not 70Wh.
According to Lenovo the Ideapad 5 15ITL05 comes in 45wh, 57wh and 70wh variations, the reviews I've seen were with the 70wh battery. It does make it slightly confusing, on that basis then there's probably not going to be too much difference in battery life.

it sounds like it's not too low, I'm kinda not sure right now, do you recommend IPS over OLED because of that burn-in problem?
It's not nothing, it's not difficult to find people with OLED monitors or laptops that have experienced this. It's static elements on the screen that are going to cause the issue. So for example the icons on your Windows task bar at the bottom of the screen is a common thing that will burn into the screen over time. One way to mitigate this would be to have the task bar set to auto hide. That way it will pop up and disappear throughout the day when your using it so the pixels won't constantly be showing the same image.

If you use the Asus OLED care software and are mindful to periodically change what's showing on the screen and have it turn off after a short period of inactivity then the OLED panel will likely have a long and happy life.

However I would generally recommend IPS over OLED for a laptop that is going to be used regularly for non multi-media related tasks for several hours at a time. If your familiar with Linus Tech Tips they did a video on an LG TV in relation to burn-in:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWrFEU_605g

It's M513UA-L1305, how can i find out if the laptop has used PWM?
Most OLED panels use PWM, in fact I'm not aware of a single one that doesn't. This is a tricky one as it can affect some people and not others. It's the low PWM frequency in this case that is more of a concern, not the fact PWM is used. I don't see many people complain about it personally but occasionally some reviewers have stated OLED laptops have caused them discomfort when used for long periods.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
Yes the Ryzen 5700U is a much better CPU than the i7 1165g7, the i7 has slightly faster cores but the Ryzen has double the cores. I would expect it to hold up better over time because those extra 4 cores will help it cope should software demands increase.

If everything else was equal then it would be the better choice. However your not just buying a CPU, your buying a laptop. If other aspects of the 11th gen laptop are better, such as it has a better screen, it has better build quality. Then I would choose that over the Ryzen 7 laptop.

In this case yes the 5700U is more power efficient than the 1165g7. However whether you get better battery life out of it depends on the laptops your comparing. My expectation would be the Ideapad 5 and HP 255 G8 wouldn't be too dissimilar in battery life.

Mod
Mark this as best answer