Confused dentist with PC probs: Motherboard wont receive power

Aug 26, 2018
Hello everyone,

This is my first attempt building a PC for gaming. Ive watched numerous videos on youtube to knowledge myself on the steps. This is my parts list:
-Intel 8th gen core i5-8600k
-Gigabyte z370p d3
-EVGA GeForce gtx 1060 6 gb ssc
-EVGA 650 BQ 80+ bronze semi modular
-Cooler master hyper 212 LED turbo
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb (2x4gb) ddr4 3000MHz
-WD blue 1 tb sata hard drive
-Crucial MX500 500gb

All items were purchased from amazon.

I set everything up following Joey Delgado steps since he used the same case as I. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZcQG3Cqq1A

So after my whole set up and 9 hours of work, i decided to test my system and boom, nothing. Like nothing happened at all. No lights, no fans...nothing. So I started troubleshooting and started with the power supply. I had the tester for it and when i tried it, the fans spun on the power supply telling me that part was working. So then i assumed it was a mother board issue and got it exchanged for another one from amazon.

Set everything back up with the exchanged motherboard and...NOTHING. Same problem happened. No lights, no fans spinning. Not even the power supplys fan were spinning. So I ran the test again (synonymous to the pin test) and the power supplys fan ran then. So then i went and switched up the ram slots and tried without the GPU installed but that lead me no where.

Im completely lost. Now im thinking its not the mother board thats the problem. But its not receiving any power from the power supply. I have everything plugged in right and completely. So now im thinking I dont have the right power supply cause in the video Joey used a EVGA 500W semi modular while i used a 650W one. Either that or theres a switch on the motherboard to turn it on but i dont know where that would be located. I really dont have any direction right now so would anyone be able to help me out? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Solution
look at the bios rev of the mb. the bios needs to be rev f4 or f5 the last two bios files for your cpu to post. on your power supply make sure the cpu or eps eight pin cables are in the eps connector not the 6 plus 2 video cable. also make sure the mb is siiiting on top of the brass standoffs. if not it be shorting out to the case. most new mb now have debug led codes or colored led. on your mb if there a power good led is it on and is it soild or blinking. if it blinking there a power issues. for a dead short test pull the mb from the case with just ram and power see if it posts.
Your power supply is fine. My first thoughts are:

1. There is a short somewhere. I am kind of doubting this one because if it took you 9 hours to put this together I bet you were very careful. I like the idea of removing everything to see if the it will power up. (simplify!)
2. There is a power switch on the back of the power supply. Try it one way, try it the other (I never remember which is on or off).
3. There are 2 critical power cables to the motherboard. The 24 pin near the memory and the 8 pin closer to the CPU. The 8 is normally pretty easy. Make sure they snap on. The 24 pin can be more difficult, especially if the extra 4 pins are removable. Make sure all in firmly.
4. The last critical thing is the line for the power switch (power SW). make sure that is lining up with the 2 red pins labeled PW+ and PW-.

So, to keep it simple, unplug all the fans (except CPU fan), hard drive, optical drive, and graphics card. Basically, just the CPU, cooler, and RAM. If CPU fan does not kick on in this configuration when you press the power button, something is very wrong ... or it's something dumb like a bad power button.

Aug 26, 2018
Thank you for your response.

I was very careful putting this together. I have had previous experience building robotic arms when i was a kid.
"o" is off and "l" is on. I tried both ways.
I have fully seated both the 8 pin cable and 24 pin power cable.
I tried inserting the "power SW" cable both ways just incase i was doing it wrong. This did not solve the issue.
I was testing all of this with only the CPU, cooler and RAM inserted like you suggested.

With all of this, still nothing happens at all. No beeps, lights or anything. Could the cables from the power supply be defective (8 pin or 24 pin)? If the power button is bad, is that a computer case issue? I have the InWin 101 White ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721TZFDR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can disconnect the power switch cable and try several options. One is use the reset cable and,try that button, one is complete the circuit using a paper clip or screwdriver. I bought a nice Antec 900 case years ago and same issue. Turned out the power button just wouldnt work for whatever reason. My solution was to use the reset switch for my power instead of replacing it and going longer without the new computer. Dont really need a reset in 2018 IMO.

On another note, the PSU you got is pretty low level. If you continue to have problems I would exchange it,for a good gold model.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018

try a different electric outlet plug in your house. the circuit may be overloaded or the wires may be old then you wont get enough power to your psu to power it up. usa circuits are usually 15A, me thinks.. best to check with your electrician.

if you could rma the psu try a new one if it works

or simply bring the whole pc to a shop and let them diagnose it.

edit- make sure you installed your cpu in the right orientation

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
You could try to power on the computer without the case power button. If you find the pins it connects to, should say "panel". Find the power pins and jump them with a screwdriver. Then you can at least rule that out if it is the case. If my description isn't great, you can just google how. Im sure there are better explanations.

Aug 26, 2018
Thank you bmockeg, larrycumming, and tejayd for your responses.

My case does not have a reset cable. Just the "power sw" and the "hdd led"
I tried to jump the motherboard by using the screwdriver technique on the positive and negative pins where the "power sw" cable went.
There was no response. Even tried it on the reset pins if that would work, but it did not.
My PC is the plugged into the wall with no other electronics with it. Im sure the outlet is not the issue because my ps4 and monitor both worked from the same outlet.
CPU is installed in the correct orientation with the small gold cpu arrow on the same corner as the arrow presented on the motherboard.

Do you guys think I should invest in a higher end power supply?

I'm really at a loss if you've confirmed the PSU works. I suppose it could be a bad cable from,PSU to motherboard. There are some bad stories I have heard about the EVGA bronze psu. They make good gold models. Seasonic focus gold are the best for average consumers.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018

I would go for a gold or platinum psu, no need to cheap out on psu, its a vital part of your system.

generally I have had good experience with seasonic

look at the bios rev of the mb. the bios needs to be rev f4 or f5 the last two bios files for your cpu to post. on your power supply make sure the cpu or eps eight pin cables are in the eps connector not the 6 plus 2 video cable. also make sure the mb is siiiting on top of the brass standoffs. if not it be shorting out to the case. most new mb now have debug led codes or colored led. on your mb if there a power good led is it on and is it soild or blinking. if it blinking there a power issues. for a dead short test pull the mb from the case with just ram and power see if it posts.

Solution

You have tried all the obvious things, so my next thing would be to replace the power supply (even with a bad CPU, I would expect the fans to come on for a second and then shut off). The EVGA is a good budget PSU (you can read a review here : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-bq-series-850w-psu,4842-11.html), but those of us who build our own computers often do so to choose the parts we want. It would not make the top of the list for many of us (still, it should work ... it's not what is holding you back, unless it is broken).

The Seasonic focus and EVGA supernova are both excellent PSUs, but they will set you back another $20 at that power rating (650W).
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-ssr-750fx-focus-plus-750-gold-psu,5206.html
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g3-psu,5533-12.html