Confused for choosing the right PSU!

Chitrank

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I am going to build a Skylake PC next month. Here are the specs of the PC:

CPU: Intel i5 6600k (will overclock to 4.2ghz mostly)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Gaming Pro
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 X
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970(overclock)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB(2x8) 2400Mhz DDR4
Storage: Segate 1TB Desktop SSHD
Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 (with 3x120mm corsair case fans)

Now the problem for me is whether how much power do i need to run this system! I'm confused about the PSU requirement as I will be overclocking it(4.2Ghz to 4.3Ghz tops). I only have two choices because of the budget, either the Corsair VS 650 or the Corsair CX600 as they both are in 5,000/- INR price range. At first, i thought of the VS 650 but people are saying that it's not good when compared to CX600 as CX is 80+ bronze certified. I just don't know which one to choose from them. I would also like to know how many Watts is actually required for this build to power up and run efficiently considering the overclock and the load on PSU(I don't want to get an overkill PSU).
Thank you.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Check out this Power Supply Calculator. It'll tell you about how much you need.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

As for the power supplies, you're looking at, 600W will be more than enough. I'd be more concerned about the quality of them though. If you're overclocking, you'll want a decent power supply, preferably with a Gold rating (not Bronze). Also, look for ones that have an 'Active PFC'. Yes they will cost more, but they will also deliver cleaner power which may help on your overclocking.