Confused - HD for workstation

CtrlAltBANG

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi folks,

I am a bit confused in reading about hard drives.

I am looking for recommendations for a HD.

I have my workstation that is a duel boot Ubuntu and Windows. Its used for work and Internet games (not a gamer-just to relax). I also use it for video editing and sound editing at times. It's my workhorse.

The current drive is a 1TB HDD Seagate ST3100528AS SATA 3. It's not very good for this system. It's slow and lethargic.

I need to replace that Seagate with something much better. I was thinking about a Samsung Spinpoint F3R HD103SJ but I read that is more for a media or raid drive.

Any suggestions for me in the 1T drives?

Thanks

tomatthe

Distinguished
Are you certain the drive is what is making the system slow? It seems like a fine drive to use for a basic system. I don't see any noticeable improvements from switching to a different 1Tb drive, other then presumably you would have a clean OS install which would take care of any software related problems you had.

CtrlAltBANG

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I am not sure if the drive is slowly dying or if it's a software related. However, I am doing a fresh install for both OS's. Then I was going to use the current drive as a slave and pull all the data off it then format that drive and use it in another system for the kids.

That is the plan anyway. So I just need to find a good HD to use in my system.

In the past I have picked other drives and many I tried were not a good choice. So I thought I would ask this time instead.