Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_nerd

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
hey guys.

i was just installing blender on Linux lite. I tried to install it using command line but ended up getting blender 2.7 which as you may know is MUCH worse. I then went to blender.org and installed the .tar.xz file which may be familiar territory for the average linux nerd. but, for a linux noob it could not be anything further than familiar. so my question is: what the hell with it do with this kind of file just to simply open it?

thanks in advance,
Tom

You just unpack it to whatever directory, and then you should find the binary file (the executable) you can execute. It's probably named just "blender".

You may need to set the permission manually, but those programs I have used this way have used to have their permission already set.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
hey guys.

i was just installing blender on Linux lite. I tried to install it using command line but ended up getting blender 2.7 which as you may know is MUCH worse. I then went to blender.org and installed the .tar.xz file which may be familiar territory for the average linux nerd. but, for a linux noob it could not be anything further than familiar. so my question is: what the hell with it do with this kind of file just to simply open it?

thanks in advance,
Tom

Rather than download the tarball, use the package manager to install it. Open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install blender

It will as for your password, then say type yes to install

Last edited:
As above. Do not go installing tarballs from who knows where, especially as a noob. Use the package manager, that's what it's there for. It will do a proper installation. If the version you want isn't listed among the available packages then either use what's there or wait a short while, the package maintainer for that package will likely add it soon.

bigendian

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
And i would add, if your distribution is creating issues about installing a simple package as blender, switch distribution. Go for a plain debian or something known to be well working.

Then you'll either have to use that version or switch to a full featured release, such as Ubuntu or Debian (current available Blender version 2.80). The versions available in the package managers always trail behind what's available at the Blender site as it takes considerable time to test and package, and the package maintainers are volunteers with other duties.

Tom_nerd

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I see, This PPA seems to support newer versions:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thomas-schiex/blender
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender

If you have and older blender already installed, you may need to:

sudo apt-get remove --autoremove blender

hi thanks so much for your help by the way.

I just did those commands and blender shows up in the search menu thing. but when I click enter or click with the mouse nothing happens.

thanks, Tom

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
hi thanks so much for your help by the way.

I just did those commands and blender shows up in the search menu thing. but when I click enter or click with the mouse nothing happens.

thanks, Tom

Try launching blender from the terminal instead. Hopefully you'll see error messages print out in the terminal. Just open the terminal and type blender, press enter.

Edit: I installed LinuxLite in a VM and installed the latest Blender. It does run, so hopefully running it from the terminal will reveal something.

Last edited:

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I know I am proving the " Linux noob" in the title correct but hwot do I run something through the terminal?

Open the terminal
type "blender" (without quotes)
press enter

It will try to launch blender just like it does when you click the shortcut in the menu. The nice thing about running it from the terminal is that it will print out some additional information, hopefully giving us a clue as to why it is not starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.