Confused on cab building...

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

So these plans that I see for cabinet and what not. I guess the ones I'm
looking at tell you how to cut the wood and what-not for the classic
arcade shapes. But how do you connect the pieces? Drill holes and run
dowels? Superglue? LOL.

I'll never be a master carpenter.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

usually you run a 1x1 along the inside joint and drill/screw through that
into the opposing pieces... PLUS glue if you're really serious.

"Josh McCormick" <jmccorm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cn20e.1950$Qz.1779@okepread05...
> So these plans that I see for cabinet and what not. I guess the ones I'm
> looking at tell you how to cut the wood and what-not for the classic
> arcade shapes. But how do you connect the pieces? Drill holes and run
> dowels? Superglue? LOL.
>
> I'll never be a master carpenter.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

> I'll never be a master carpenter.

You're not alone. When it comes to woodworking, I am completely clueless.
For some reason, I just can't grasp working with wood. :)

Bill
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Josh,

With millions of old cabinets out there, you'd be much better off just
finding one that has been stripped and doing a restoration on it. In the
end, you'll save yourself a lot of time, $$$, and headaches.

Brian


"Josh McCormick" <jmccorm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cn20e.1950$Qz.1779@okepread05...
> So these plans that I see for cabinet and what not. I guess the ones I'm
> looking at tell you how to cut the wood and what-not for the classic
> arcade shapes. But how do you connect the pieces? Drill holes and run
> dowels? Superglue? LOL.
>
> I'll never be a master carpenter.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I'm able to find that material 'Pine' at Lowe's back towards the floor
molding. You can get about a 10' stick of it for around 7$.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:10:25 GMT, "Steve Muccione"
<home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote:

>usually you run a 1x1 along the inside joint and drill/screw through that
>into the opposing pieces... PLUS glue if you're really serious.
>
>"Josh McCormick" <jmccorm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:cn20e.1950$Qz.1779@okepread05...
>> So these plans that I see for cabinet and what not. I guess the ones I'm
>> looking at tell you how to cut the wood and what-not for the classic
>> arcade shapes. But how do you connect the pieces? Drill holes and run
>> dowels? Superglue? LOL.
>>
>> I'll never be a master carpenter.
>
>

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com
 

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
159
0
18,680
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Use wood glue and a staple gun (air) with 1 x 1 blocking to hold it together
Of course the bigger trick is to make sure your cuts are perfectly straight
and square :) I'd forget screws unless you absolutely have to.

Here's a few pix of cab building in process:
http://www.tutankham.com/tutankham.com-asp//sundance/
http://www.tutankham.com/pongrest/index.htm

/brian

http://www.tutankham.com

"Josh McCormick" <jmccorm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cn20e.1950$Qz.1779@okepread05...
> So these plans that I see for cabinet and what not. I guess the ones I'm
> looking at tell you how to cut the wood and what-not for the classic
> arcade shapes. But how do you connect the pieces? Drill holes and run
> dowels? Superglue? LOL.
>
> I'll never be a master carpenter.
 

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
2,208
0
19,780
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

If this is your first game, especially if you are trying to build a MAME,
it would be a lot easier to buy an old empty cabinet that already has a
coin door, marquee light set up, and speakers and grills. Strip, sand,
repair, paint and build. There are lots of solid converted or half empty
cabs out there... most of us have a few of 'em in our basements and
garages. -dan


On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Josh McCormick wrote:

> So these plans that I see for cabinet and what not. I guess the ones I'm
> looking at tell you how to cut the wood and what-not for the classic arcade
> shapes. But how do you connect the pieces? Drill holes and run dowels?
> Superglue? LOL.
>
> I'll never be a master carpenter.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I've got somewhere approaching 20 uprights. I was wanting to build a
custom JAMMA cabinet that would be a little on the unusual side. For
what I'm doing, I'd rather build than modify an existing cab.

Dan wrote:
> If this is your first game, especially if you are trying to build a
> MAME, it would be a lot easier to buy an old empty cabinet that already
> has a coin door, marquee light set up, and speakers and grills. Strip,
> sand, repair, paint and build. There are lots of solid converted or half
> empty cabs out there... most of us have a few of 'em in our basements
> and garages. -dan
>
>
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Josh McCormick wrote:
>
>> So these plans that I see for cabinet and what not. I guess the ones
>> I'm looking at tell you how to cut the wood and what-not for the
>> classic arcade shapes. But how do you connect the pieces? Drill holes
>> and run dowels? Superglue? LOL.
>>
>> I'll never be a master carpenter.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Nice. Thanks!

prOk wrote:
> Use wood glue and a staple gun (air) with 1 x 1 blocking to hold it together
> Of course the bigger trick is to make sure your cuts are perfectly straight
> and square :) I'd forget screws unless you absolutely have to.
>
> Here's a few pix of cab building in process:
> http://www.tutankham.com/tutankham.com-asp//sundance/
> http://www.tutankham.com/pongrest/index.htm
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

it doesn't get much more step by step then this...
http://spystyle.arcadecontrols.com/index1.htm

swiped from www.byoac.com

k


"Josh McCormick" <jmccorm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:yfo0e.2029$Qz.1879@okepread05...
> Nice. Thanks!
>
> prOk wrote:
> > Use wood glue and a staple gun (air) with 1 x 1 blocking to hold it
together
> > Of course the bigger trick is to make sure your cuts are perfectly
straight
> > and square :) I'd forget screws unless you absolutely have to.
> >
> > Here's a few pix of cab building in process:
> > http://www.tutankham.com/tutankham.com-asp//sundance/
> > http://www.tutankham.com/pongrest/index.htm