[SOLVED] Confused on RAM

Jul 21, 2022
I am trying to upgrade the RAM in my Lenovo IdeaCentre B520. I am getting mixed advice. Crucial.com recommends
Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
  • CT51264BF160B
  • Configuration ID: CT2294436
DDR3-1600 • CL=11 • NON-ECC • SODIMM • 204-pin • 1.35V • 2Rx8 • PC3-12800

Lenovo sent me a manual stating the i3-2120 CPU has DDR3 memory controller (up to 1333MHz). 1333Mhz is 10600, not PC3-12800.
Lenovo tech support chat with a real person tells me PC3-12800 is a waste of money as the i3 won't support it.

Lenovo tells me to look for PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3, non-parity,, dual-channel capable, four 204-pin SO-DIMM sockets. The manual says the same.
I want good brand name RAM. Where should I look? Where would you shop?

Solution
D
Are these brand name like Kingston or Samsung? I want the good stuff without paying too much. I need something reliable. I do not recognize these names, but I am a novice.

The bottom link is Silicon Power and they are fine. 16gb for that price is a pretty decent deal tbh. I see you are new around here so to put you at ease I have been on this forum since 2010 and I own 5 PC shops in the USA that pump out around 3000+ repairs a year, This ram will be fine.
Jul 21, 2022
Are these brand name like Kingston or Samsung? I want the good stuff without paying too much. I need something reliable. I do not recognize these names, but I am a novice.

D

Deleted member 362816

The bottom link is Silicon Power and they are fine. 16gb for that price is a pretty decent deal tbh. I see you are new around here so to put you at ease I have been on this forum since 2010 and I own 5 PC shops in the USA that pump out around 3000+ repairs a year, This ram will be fine.

Reactions: gunnerstunna
Solution
D

Deleted member 362816

Thank you so much. Should I avoid A-Tech? It seems to be B stock type stuff from other manufacturers...

I mean I use it allot and never had issues with their ddr3l memory. Even cheap memory is generally Hynix or Samsung chips.

Jul 21, 2022
Thank you so much. I will try the Silicon Power. Am I supposed to give you a digital badge or something to show that you helped me? It seems that there are things like "Splendid" and "Platinum" under your name. I want to give you a bump or whatever they call it here...

D

Deleted member 362816

Thank you so much. I will try the Silicon Power. Am I supposed to give you a digital badge or something to show that you helped me? It seems that there are things like "Splendid" and "Platinum" under your name. I want to give you a bump or whatever they call it here...

There is a small trophy above the up and down arrows on my post yes selecting the best answer will close this question out, Same as the other one asking about the 1.5v.

Have a good one!