[SOLVED] Confused on the gpu I have in my laptop.

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
So I traded my gaming desktop for a gaming laptop. I checked everything before trading so I know things were good before trading, but I am a little confused. The desktop I had, had a gtx 1080 in it. The laptop I traded for is an Asus ROG G703GXR. The gpu it has in an RTX 2080. Now I was under the impression that gaming laptops are gonna have lower specs due to their....clears throat portability. Granted this is more portable than a desktop (which is why I was trading in the first place, my living situation had changed.) But when I compared the specs to the mobile 2080 on notebookchecks they weren't lining up, I then got curious and looked up the desktop 2080 and....it's close to the same? In fact slightly higher clocked than stock 2080's? Did Nvidia ramp up their laptop setup? Or was I just lucky in this trade? Like I'm scratching my head. From what I see this laptop in question is a fairly good one and that I lucked out in the trade. I wanna say I was lucky, but my luck is usually never that good. I was wanting some opinions or maybe more answers as I've been out of the mobile gpu loop for quite awhile. I did notice this laptop has 2x power bricks to run it as will. Just not as sure about the mobile gpu. Google has failed me on finding many answers other than specs and some reviews but seeing as this laptop cost a crap ton of money, far more than I had in my desktop honestly, it also seems reviews are far in between compared to.....lower cost alternatives.

Attached links to comparison photos showing my gpu according to gpuz and the specs of the desktop gpu. They do link to my onedrive account, but are only png screenshots as I couldn't figure out how to attach an image directly to this post.

Comp 1

Comp 2

In case the links don't work for some reason:

My laptop's specs per gpu-z are:

Shaders- 2944, Core- 1575Mhz- 1755Mhz (Boost) though I think I've seen higher as reported by the ROG Armory, Memory- 1750Mhz (I think this is low due to it being GDDR6 which would have a multiplier?), 256bit bus, 8GB GDDR6, Bandwidth- 448GB/s, ROPs/TMUs- 64/184, Pixel Fillrate- 112.3G pixel/s, Texture Fillrate- 322.9 G texel/s

Link to desktop rtx 2080- Notebookcheck.net

Thanks for all the help! Like I said, I've been out of the laptop market for a couple of years so the more light shed, the better! :) And if you wish to know what I traded I'll go ahead and list it below. Also how would this RTX 2080 compare to a Desktop RTX 2070 super? Just wondering?

Desktop:

Ryzen 5 3600
16GB RAM
1TB Cheap Inland NVME SSD from Microcenter
3TB HDD
GTX 1080 FE Card
27" Asus ROG 2560x1440 g-sync 144HZ display
31.5" Asus 2560x1440 60 Display
No keyboard or mouse

Laptop I got:
Asus ROG G703GXR

Intel i7-9750H
32GB Ram
500GB NVME SSD (I put a 1TB Samsung 960 Pro in from my desktop), the 500GB went into a second slot of 3 in this laptop)
2TB 2.5"Seagate HDD (I put in a cheap 1TB 2.5" SSD in it's place from my desktop)
RTX 2080
17.3" 1080p 144HZ g-sync Display
I had a bag that would fit this laptop already due to having an older laptop that was rather big in the past.

Solution
there are many different versions of each model card.
even the same manufacturer may have up to 5 versions of just the desktop RTX 2080 card.
some with different cooling designs, some with higher factory clocks, some slim versions for fitting in tighter locations, etc.

which versions they make for mobile use may depend more on the specific laptop manufacturer and what options are available cooling and dimensions-wise.
so could mean another 5 or more different versions of the same card depending on how many laptop manufacturers they are contracted for.

even in a laptop;
if it's an OC edition, it may have quite higher core & memory speeds than a regular desktop edition.
many laptop models may also have several different options for...
there are many different versions of each model card.
even the same manufacturer may have up to 5 versions of just the desktop RTX 2080 card.
some with different cooling designs, some with higher factory clocks, some slim versions for fitting in tighter locations, etc.

which versions they make for mobile use may depend more on the specific laptop manufacturer and what options are available cooling and dimensions-wise.
so could mean another 5 or more different versions of the same card depending on how many laptop manufacturers they are contracted for.

even in a laptop;
if it's an OC edition, it may have quite higher core & memory speeds than a regular desktop edition.
many laptop models may also have several different options for which RTX 2080 they contain.
you would need the exact product ID of the card installed to know for sure exactly which version it is.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
After the 9th generation, yes, mobile GPUs more or less became the same as desktop GPUs. Usually the more efficient chips are binned and earmarked for the mobile market.

They still offer the "mobile" version, a Max-Q version (though that branding has gone away), and occasionally laptop suppliers will advertise a maximum performance, ie desktop, chip for mobile.

Yes, there are many versions and many TDP levels they can set, so they are not all equal.

Thanks for all the help! Like I said, I've been out of the laptop market for a couple of years so the more light shed, the better! :) And if you wish to know what I traded I'll go ahead and list it below. Also how would this RTX 2080 compare to a Desktop RTX 2070 super? Just wondering?

Install and run a benchmark utility like 3DMark or Passmark, then compare your video card results to those online for whatever card you want to compare it to. Whenever I do an upgrade or check on a system, I run Passmark on it, then compare before and after scores. Only real way to know for sure what effect the change had on the system. I even use benchmarks for work when speccing out new hardware to see how much we need to spend on a system to do the job it needs to do.