Confused on this error

Twice now an icon has showed up on my systray indicating a loss of
connectivity (and it was correct; I couldn't access any web pages or email).

When I clicked on the icon and then clicked details, it said something about
a loss of my IP address or something like that. The first time, I
disconnected the cable going from my broadband cable modem to my computer
and reconnected it and all went fine.

But a few hours later, it happened again. The icon also gave me an option to
"repair" the problem to reset my IP address. I did this and now all is
working well (for the last hour anyway).

Does anyone know what's going on?? Am I heading for some kind of hardware
failure?

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home. I've had it about 15 months. I
think it is still under warranty (2 years, I think).

Mel

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Twice now an icon has showed up on my systray indicating a loss of
> connectivity (and it was correct; I couldn't access any web pages or
email).

> When I clicked on the icon and then clicked details, it said something
about
> a loss of my IP address or something like that. The first time, I
> disconnected the cable going from my broadband cable modem to my computer
> and reconnected it and all went fine.
>
> But a few hours later, it happened again. The icon also gave me an option
> "repair" the problem to reset my IP address. I did this and now all is
> working well (for the last hour anyway).
>
> Does anyone know what's going on?? Am I heading for some kind of hardware
> failure?
>
> I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home. I've had it about 15 months. I
> think it is still under warranty (2 years, I think).
>
> Mel

I've seen that when I have multiple networks and I switch networks. Usually
though I get an IP address collision first.