Confused on which Gaming memory is best for 1066 Board. Please help!

afm813

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Hello all,

Below are different Memory Type tables I pulled from the FAQ. And the Motherboard I'm getting indicates that it runs DDR2 1066 (which appears to be Rambus in the list below). However, the memory suggested for gaming by newegg.com seems to be DDR2-400 or DDR2-667. Are the latter memories compatible with the DDR2 1066 MB I want to get? If they are, which is better, the 400s, the 667s, or the 1066s? I could not find clarification in the FAQ and need help. Lehman's terms please as I'm still learning the technical jargon.

Thanks,
Dan

DDR2
DDR2-400 = PC2-3200 (200MHz @ CL=3, tRCD=3, tRP=3)
DDR2-533 = PC2-4200 (266MHz @ CL=4, tRCD=4, tRP=4)
DDR2-667 = PC2-5300 (333MHz @ CL=5, tRCD=5, tRP=5 OR 4-4-4)
DDR2-800 = PC2-6400 (400MHz @ CL=6, tRCD=6, tRP=6, OR 5-5-5)

RAMBUS
PC-800 (400MHz)
PC-1066 (533MHz)

*Non Standard Specification (not officially supported)

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
We need to know what mobo. Why are you getting a mobo if you don't know anything about it. I hear you are learning - but there are a zillion questions about everything - and you are talking about getting.

It's easier if you are researching or doing research or planning.

"the Motherboard I'm getting indicates that it runs DDR2 1066 "
That means (probably) that the motherboard (mobo) will support "DDR2 1066". It might also support DDR2xxx = same type, different speeds. But same type = "DDR2" = double data rate 2 (version 2) whatever

The 1066 in your table above is VERY different type
"PC-1066" not same as "DDR2-1066"
"PC-1066" - RAMBUS - you really don't want to get into Rambus ram - intel tried that a long time ago - long story and $$$$

You want ddr2. Faster is higher numbers. So ddr2889 os faster than ddr2 400 for example.

I don't know where you got the FAQ'S lost - better said as - what mobo are you investigating? Note also sometimes the ram supported can be dictated by the type of cpu.

Anyway 1066 is kinda newish and perhaps is excluded from the list of ddr's that you present here.
The board might support it.
BUT will the cpu like it or support it.
Is there a performance advantage in spending the extra $ for 1066.
Perhaps other conditions are in play.

Bottom line - I don't really know.
A "link" to the board might help. A quick glance at the board specs would reveal the ram supported and recommended - or what happens is you spend so much time in this pc stuff that you learn by osmosis and you just know what ram to use.

What you should do is
Google the mobo - goto the manufacturers site and get the real story - new2egg wants to sell **** - they don't make mobos. So check the brandname - goto site and "search" for model number or chipset or socket type such as AM2+ or if intel probably 778 or who knows - you should know that part.

Hang in there - it gets worse - then better.

Move slowly - watch - and learn.

Read reviews.

Google is your friend.

Note that AMD and INTEL are 2 separate camps. Both have fans.

I am a self-confessed AMD fanboy for ethical and personal reasons.

But a pc is a pc and they are all the same but different.

Google 'intel antitrust' and see what happens :)

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
The fact that we have to learn all this is indicative of a war in which parts mftrs try to take our money while we try to take their parts.

Some of us actually enjoy this bs.

It's an addiction - run while you have a chance :)

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
An AMD system would respond better to 1066 than an ntel I guess. It's more $$ is there an advantage = you decide.

Now that you are researching - check out the latest and greatest "HOT" news about the AMD Phenom CPU. They are using 1066 ddr2 ram.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=471

You don't know but this is great news. Just read and enjoy. You won't understand most of it.

Anandtech is a great site also for reviews - Toms reviews lately are getting worse, bias, lame etc. Some are better than others. Anand is consistent. With a brutal unbiased approach. Just the facts. That's my opinion.
Check out 3dguru also.
And Legit Reviews.
There's lots of review sites - all have a different flavour. Google reviews pc.
Take your time - they all want your money. That's the easy part - then you cry :)
Ask lots of questions - beware the attitudes. especially mine :)

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
For DDR2 1066, I say G.Skill
same for DDR2 800 (has some very nice 4-4-4-12 RAM with a volt bump)
Geil is also good, however their carbon series is a little thicker than others (makes it difficult to place them side by side).

Please remember to always check the BIOS for the voltage the RAM is at, most set it to 1.8, when it should be at 2.0, or 2.1.

afm813

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Hello and thanks for the quick feedback...

I'm at work now so let me briefly post the MB I'm looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157131

I'm interested in this one based on price, reviews, and compatibility with
a Intel Dual Core Processor I picked up already: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116052
(Sorry ZootyGrady, I already bought an intel chip but will check out your AMD sources for future reference).

I just want to make sure that any of the DDR2 Memory (whether its 400 667, 800 etc.) is compatible with this board. From the sound of it, it doesn't seem to matter the # behind the 'DDR2' so long as the board itself is DDR2 compatible, eh?
Thanks again for further input on the matter! Back to work!

For compatibility, go to the ram vendor's web site and use their memory configurator. I know Corsair, Kingston, and Patriot have them. There should be others. The memory vendors know which parts work with which motherboards, so you can be reasonably assured of compatibility. The key to easy compatibility is the ram voltage the motherboard wants to run at, and the basic voltage of the ram.

Intel Core 2 processors are not very sensitive to ram speeds. It is more important to get enough. At today's prices, I suggest a 4gb kit in a 2x2gb configuration. Speed matters only to record high overclocking enthusiasts.
DDR2-800 is probably the best for now,

afm813

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008

Are these some good ideas for memory on the aforementioned MB?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227089
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231087

Both are DDR2 800s and have a CAS Latency of 4 as you guys described, no?
Thanks again,
Dan

They are all CL4, the first number after the DDR2 xxx part, which is the most important timing. The two sets you link are both more than twice the price of the set I linked. Technically, the second set you linked will be the fastest of the 3 but you will never be able to tell the difference either in real life or with benchmarks.

afm813

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I saw the links again and was like 'what the heck is he talking about, there all similiar in prices'... Then I saw the rebate. LOL Thanks, I will definitely pick this up and utilize the rebate now and for all purchases.
Thanks for clarifying as well! :pt1cable:

TRENDING THREADS