[SOLVED] Confused which is better

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
now im so Confused should go for m.2 nvme samsung evo 970 plus 250 gp for ios or go for ssd evo 860 500gb for ios and some games i know the ssd limited with speed 550mb\s it's enough or should for for m2 bec speed 3500\s ? what you think guys if go for m2 after month going get 1 ssd for games only so will be good idea or

Solution
okay what about if i get m.2 for ios only so going see any diff ?
Well...this all folds into the full budget and build.
Given the budget, just get a single large NVMe M.2 drive.
The 970 EVO Plus.

Put everything on it.

Or, a smaller one for the OS and applications, and then SATA III SSD for all else.

The initial replies here were aimed at the perceived diff of SATA III and NVMe in relation to games.

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
games? how big are the game?
i know the 500gb not that big but going put like 2 or 3 games heavy once if i got the m.2 going make it only for ios and after month going get 1 tb 860 evo even i get the the 500 evo after month going get 1 tb to so i mean which should get for fast ios and have good speed ssd or m.2 like 970 plus

USAFRet

Titan
gigabyte b250 gaming 3 it's support m.2 slots so you mean there no difference on speeds ?
In raw sequential speed, the NVMe is significantly faster than a SATA III drive. And significantly more expensive per GB.
However, in actual game usage, you'll see little if any user facing difference.

Car A has a top speed of 120MPH (SATA III)
Car B has a top speed of 160MPH (NVMe)

Obviously, Car B is 'faster', right?

Not if you're just driving to work and school, on roads with a 55mph speed limit.
If the budget is tight, don't sacrifice 1/2 the space for a tiny speed boost.

Reactions: einsteinyh

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
In raw sequential speed, the NVMe is significantly faster than a SATA III drive. And significantly more expensive per GB.
However, in actual game usage, you'll see little if any user facing difference.

Car A has a top speed of 120MPH (SATA III)
Car B has a top speed of 160MPH (NVMe)

Obviously, Car B is 'faster', right?

Not if you're just driving to work and school, on roads with a 55mph speed limit.
If the budget is tight, don't sacrifice 1/2 the space for a tiny speed boost.

USAFRet

Titan
The 970 EVO Plus.

Put everything on it.

Or, a smaller one for the OS and applications, and then SATA III SSD for all else.

The initial replies here were aimed at the perceived diff of SATA III and NVMe in relation to games.

Solution

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
yea
The 970 EVO Plus.

Put everything on it.

that what i wanna to do get small m.2 for os only and 1 tb ssd for games only what i mean there no diff if i get small ssd for os or m.2 hope you understand me that what i meaning

USAFRet

Titan
that what i wanna to do get small m.2 for os only and 1 tb ssd for games only what i mean there no diff if i get small ssd for os or m.2 hope you understand me that what i meaning
Define "small".

And "os only" doesn't work. It never ends up like that.

For a new system, what I would do personally:
500GB NVMe for the OS and applications.
A 1 or 2TB SATA III for all else.

But that's what I would do. Your needs may differ.

eslam.topsecret66

Reputable
Oct 13, 2018
it's little hard to get 500 gb nvme for only os i not use so much applications i think 250 is good and going be big for me for os bec already now use 150 gb and never get full :D so should get 250 gb m.2 or get ssd 250 ? abd later going get 1 tb ssd for games

Apr 14, 2020
yea

Officially Apple uses Gen 4th SSDs for MacAir(late 2015) and for Pro they used NVMe enabled SSD wit PCIe 3.0 comm tech. But, now they use the Gen 5 NVMe SSDs with PCIe 3.0*4 channels. Speed is quite far-reaching, and for your requirement, I would go with 500GB for the OS and 1TB for the rest of my gaming needs.

TRENDING THREADS