Confused wih Intel triple channel

titopte

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
HI, i am ordering a new desktop computer for 3d visualization jobs and I am a bit confused with some memory setups.

The motherboard is an Intel DX58SO for an i7 980x processor.
I ordered at first 16gb of ram, but i am not sure if this configuration (4x4) would make the triple channel doesn´t work at all.
I would have thought this way, but some people told me the tri-channel willl work despite that configuration.
Can anybody please enlight me with some simple explanation on that topic?

Thanks in advance,
Tito

titopte

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Thanks megaman,
i doesn´t totally understand you because your answer makes me think you believe there´s 7 slots on the board (or maybe i am just missinterpreting everything here).

Here´s the diagram from the mobo, wich i should have posted on the first post
triple.jpg

i can´t find clear information on this regard, and i am very confused.
Thanks again for your time
cheers

If you use 4 sticks, you will get triple channel on 3 sticks, and the fourth stick will operate in single channel mode.
Download and read the motherboard manual which should explain this and verify it.

That is not bad at all. The i7 memory sontrollers are very good. You will not lose any meaningful performance, perhaps 1-2%.

If your apps use lots of ram, you can get 24gb(6 x 4gb), but you will need more than windows-7 home premium to access > 16gb.

TheTech214

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I have the same motherboard. Yes, there are four memory channels, but the three blue ones are made for triple channel memory, as for the black slot is for one channel memory. Tri channel memory comes in 3,6, and 12 ram kits. your 16 will just not work. You will need to buy new ram. make sure its ddr3 and 800 or 1066.