Question confused with ram speed

Thriliya

Reputable
May 29, 2019
hey, i bought a new pc yesterday. the processor is ryzen 5 2600 with gigabyte rx 580. i have one corsair vengence lpx 8gb 3200mhz ram module. (CMK8GX4M1E3200C16) but the problem is, the ram shows 2133mhz in windows task manager. (screenshot link : View: https://imgur.com/Sm0ZH2n
) my windows version is windows 10 pro 1903. I've tested my ram in userbenchmark. it shows same there, 2133mhz. if anyone can explain and relief me. any help would be so much appreciated.

You need to set the RAM profile to its XMP settings in the BIOS. By default the RAM will go to 2133 speeds unless you tell it to overclock in the BIOS to the rated XMP speeds that is says on the box. When you do this, don't forget to change the infinity fabric clock speeds to 1600 for a 1:1 ratio between CPU and ram.

Reactions: Thriliya
I know this is not your question but that has been answered above. Did you realise that 1 RAM stick will significantly impact gaming performance and adding another stick (mixing RAM sticks) is not guaranteed to work even if you use the same make and model.

Thriliya

Reputable
May 29, 2019
I know this is not your question but that has been answered above. Did you realise that 1 RAM stick will significantly impact gaming performance and adding another stick (mixing RAM sticks) is not guaranteed to work even if you use the same make and model.
sorry i didnt get you. i have one ram stick. and will add another stick in near future.

Thriliya

Reputable
May 29, 2019
You need to set the RAM profile to its XMP settings in the BIOS. By default the RAM will go to 2133 speeds unless you tell it to overclock in the BIOS to the rated XMP speeds that is says on the box. When you do this, don't forget to change the infinity fabric clock speeds to 1600 for a 1:1 ratio between CPU and ram.
so is it like overclocking? do i have to oc to get the performance from the ram which should be 3200mhz by default! sorry i dont understand why? btw, i'll get another one in near future.

sorry i didnt get you. i have one ram stick. and will add another stick in near future.
My point is adding another stick is not guaranteed to work without issues. It might work but it might not. RAM is only guaranteed in the form it is sold, if you want 2 sticks you should buy 2x4gb, 2x8gb...... Even if you buy the same make and model but not from a matched kit you can have issues.

Problem is 1 stick will hurt performance. You best option is selling what you have and buying a matched kit.

so is it like overclocking? do i have to oc to get the performance from the ram which should be 3200mhz by default! sorry i dont understand why? btw, i'll get another one in near future.

Technically yes, but because it's XMP overclocking, you're literally just overclocking it to the rated performance it's guaranteed to work at 100% of the time by the manufacturer. You don't need to manually set your ram to 3200MHz, just look for the option in your DRAM bios setting to set the profile to the XMP profile and it'll set it all up for you. Refer to your mobo manual to find out how to do that.