Question Confused with RGB fans

Feb 4, 2020
Hello, everybody. This summer I decided to set up my own computer and put 6 fans in the case (CoolerMaster H500): two 200mm RGB front fans included in the case, the CPU heatsink fan and three ARGB fans.

My motherboard is MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and has two 12V RGB and one 5V ARGB headers (plus a specific one for Corsair fans).

The case came with a RGB controller like this one:
wrgbc10l_g1-zoom.png

ARGB fans with another controller like this:
argbsmallc_g1-zoom.png

ARGB fans are synchronized with the motherboard via the controller (connected to the motherboard ARGB header via the 3-pin connector).

As I had a lot of doubts about the voltage of the RGB fans (the two 200mm and the heatsink) as to whether I could put them on the 12V connector or should go on the 5V one, the 3 RGB fans are synchronized with each other (through the RGB controller that came with the case), but not with the motherboard (along with the other 3 ARGB). You can see that:

My question is if I could connect the 3 4-pin RGB fans to the 12V header of the mobo through a 1 to 3 RGB splitter and get the synchronization of all the components or on the contrary that could fry the LEDs. Thanks in advance.

MASTERFAN MF200R RGB: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-mf200r-rgb/

HYPER 212 RGB BLACK EDITION: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-rgb-black-edition/

MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB 3IN1: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/masterfan-mf120r-argb-3in1/

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Why don't you just replace the RGB fans with ARGB fans from CoolerMaster and call it a day?

Most of the head aches people consciously walk into is the fact that they are trying to mix and match different ecosystems and hope that they work together(somehow).

Feb 4, 2020
Thank you for reply me!! It is not a priority to buy more ARGB fans now. I think that I can connect the three RGB fans to 12V Header but I am not sure that fans LEDs have 5V or 12V (I think that 12V because they aren't addressable)

Be careful the specs you list show the top two are 12v and the bottom link is 5 volts, If you connect the 5v to a 12v plug nothing good is going to happen and very possible something bad will.
Not sure how you control the leds from th MB (software) but that will help the decision. You may be able to run 4 fans from two 12v headers and two 5v from the 5v header if you MB can supply the current.

Feb 4, 2020
Be careful the specs you list show the top two are 12v and the bottom link is 5 volts, If you connect the 5v to a 12v plug nothing good is going to happen and very possible something bad will.
Not sure how you control the leds from th MB (software) but that will help the decision. You may be able to run 4 fans from two 12v headers and two 5v from the 5v header if you MB can supply the current.

I have just seen that the RGB controller to which the RGB fans are connected (unsynchronized with the ARGB fans) supplies a voltage of 12V. I think that if up to now the LEDs have not fried, there would be no problem in passing the splitter directly to the motherboard.

And another question: can you have a 5V RGB fan?

I think for all cases:

RGB: 12V
ARGB: 5V

As for the specifications on the Cooler Master page I think they are wrong because there is an ARGB version of the CPU fan and the specifications are copied for both (RGB and ARGB) but I am not sure if an RGB fan can really have 5V.