Confused with what mobo to get

at0micsmurf

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I have; upgraded my PC in years, so im far behind with whats happening.

I've been looking for a good high end motherboard, and im having problems with storage compatibility. They all seem to have ATA or SATA next to their storage specs, but I'm using 2 IDE hard drives. Does this mean Im forced to buy to SATA drives?

I was looking at this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/121112/show_product_specifications?spectype=extended

Would this support my IDE drives and DVD drive? Thanks

WazzaUK

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
nah.... most motherboards usually still have at least 1 IDE channel.

Wouldnt hurt to upgrade your IDE to SATA thou... HDD's cheap now...

at0micsmurf

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Is 1 IDE channel enough though? Cause i have 2 drives and a DVD. Unless i could buy an IDE cable with 3 connectors on it?

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
You can only get 2 connectors on a cable. The P5B series is outdated, its been replaced with the P5K series. If you want to use all of your IDE devices, you could try finding getting a PCI or PCI-E IDE controller.

I'd get something based on P35 rather than 965X. Look at the P5K series of mobos, or GA-P35-DS3L or DS3R.

You can use two IDE devices with a GA-P35-DS3L for example. I guess you could buy a SATA burner (say, SH-S203B) or a SATA hard disk (say, WD5000AAKS) and reuse two of your 3 IDE devices.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
i suggest you swap your old hard drives for a new Seagate SATA... or you might as well keep the old ATAs and buy a new SATA..... Hard drives nowadays are dirt cheap. Trust me, you wont be disappointed with the performance.

As for the motherboard, depends on what your requirements are.... but if u want a NON SLI mobo, the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L is the absolute winner. Its got 1 IDE...you can connect your DVD to it and you still have one free end.

BTW what about the processor and GPU?

If you can't make all devices SATA, then make the hard drive SATA rather than the burner. That is, a SATA burner is just as good as an IDE burner, but a SATA hard drive is faster than an IDE hard drive. A single WD7500AAKS is probably more space than your existing drives together, and much faster. The sweet spot for price/GB is around 500GB or 750GB these days.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
your GPU is absolutely bombastic...though i don't think you'll get it very soon...its in rather short supply... anyways, great choice.

Errrumm....Q6600...dicey, mate. I personally prefer the E6750(2.66 ghz dual core). I suggest you go for that instead. The benchmarks say it all. Softwares right now aren't designed for quad core chips. Ditto for games. Including Crysis. Everything performs faster on E6750 than Q6600. Plus it costs less. If you're going for Quad core processor , and if you want a higher performance, the only logical one to get would be QX6700....and it costs a bomb.

Other good choice would be E6850 (3.0 ghz dual core). But that again costs more than E6750 for only a marginal performance tweak. E6750 gives the best bang for buck in any case.

v.imp - ur PSU...make sure there are 24 ampules on the 12V rail. Otherwise you will end up spending all that money for nothing.

goodie

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Everything performs faster on E6750 than Q6600. Plus it costs less. If you're going for Quad core processor , and if you want a higher performance, the only logical one to get would be QX6700....and it costs a bomb.
or you could get Q6600 G0 & overclock to 3.2 - 3.6ghz (much faster thanQ6700 & much cheaper!)