Confusing i5 4670k temperatures?

lewisjay1

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hi guys I recently got a i5 4670k to go with my msi z87 g45 and first of all I used the stock intel cooler as the h100 I had from a previous build wouldnt fit between the northbridge heatsink and my case :( so I turnt it on and had some weird temperatures of between 40c-50c at idle so from seeing that I changed from the stock intel cooler to my old artic pro 7 v2, first of all I started with temps of about 25c across all the cores, it then slowly rose up to about 35c-40c and now idles at those temperature when im not doing anything cpu intensive but when I put the cpu under load it only goes up to 54c max! Which is really confusing for me as I dont understand how my idle and load temperature can be within 10c of each other!? Any suggestions? I think it might be that my motherboard has a profile for the cpu cooler where the cpu fan only spins up properly at a specific heat so ill check that out but just wanted to know if there was anything to worry about, also I should mention im running it at the 3.4ghz - cheers lewis

Solution
42C (case/package temp) playing games is OK. Most games get cpu's over 50C. In fact you could probably drop your cpu fan back to 1000 rpm

lewisjay1

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
My cpu fan is at about 1200rpm at the moment and ive just been playing arma 2 and my cpu was only at 50% load and 42c!? I was getting 60fps as well so Im kinda confused because this cpu is completely destroying most things I throw at it with really low load temps but really high idle

lewisjay1

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Used both RealTemp and HWmonitor both with the same results, ill try Coretemp but I expect it will be the same