[SOLVED] Confusing m.2 problems

Khitboksy

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Im trying to set up an m.2 raid 0 array to boot from but i cant get to the MSI splash screen with both ssd's installed on my msi z270 sli, but i post into windows just fine with only one ssd.

With both ssd's it sends a black video to my monitor and when i push delete i get 'entering setup' in the bottom left and nothing more. If i leave it alone on the black screen nothing happens.

It isnt the 2nd m.2 slot because i have put the main m.2 ssd in the bottom slot and it poted just fine

I have also updated bios and flashed it back a few versions

EDIT: i have discovered my 2nd m.2 drive is the problem. I cant get to bios with it installed on either slot. Does that mean my ssd is dead?

Solution
Besides which, you are simply causing more problems for yourself, and actually DECREASING your performance, by insisting on trying to use RAID with these SSDs. You'd have faster performance without the RAID array. Considering the speed at which data transfers from SSD to SSD in a standard SATA SSD configuration under AHCI anyhow, even using a RAID array for redundancy is silly. It would make much more sense to simply create full partition backups periodically with something like Acronis true image or Macrium reflect, than to take the performance hit from using RAID.

Some people simply insist on having self imposed color blindness even though ten other people tell them the sky is usually some shade of blue.

Khitboksy

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Khitboksy : "Dead m.2 ssd?"

I have 2 MP300 120gb that i want to put in raid 0 on my MSI Z270 SLI, but when i put the drive that doesnt currently have windows on it i get video to the monitor but its black until i push delete; then it just pops up with 'entering setup' in the bottom left. Did i kill my ssd? Because the os drive (that will get wiped once i turn on m.2 genie) works in both slots, and the second ssd prevents the computer from reaching bios.

Edit what the hell this is a whole sepperste post why is it here

Khitboksy

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

As i said. "Raid 0 array to boot from" what does that have to do with fixing my problem

USAFRet

Titan
I merged it, because it was the same basic question. "Why isn't this working?"

My comment and question of "Why?" refers to the fact that RAID 0 + SSD's is generally a bad idea.
With NVMe drives, even worse.

It gains no performance benefit, as evidenced in my link above.
RAID 0 with HDD's did gain a performance benefit. With SSD's, not so much.
We all wish it were otherwise, but sadly, it isn't.

I'll ask around and see if anyone else has an idea of how to do it with your hardware.

Khitboksy

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

If i try google is like "you cant boot into windows? Lets search for that" no you * i want no boot into bios

DSzymborski

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Khitboksy : "Vga light is on but i have video. NO BIOS"

Besides which, you are simply causing more problems for yourself, and actually DECREASING your performance, by insisting on trying to use RAID with these SSDs. You'd have faster performance without the RAID array. Considering the speed at which data transfers from SSD to SSD in a standard SATA SSD configuration under AHCI anyhow, even using a RAID array for redundancy is silly. It would make much more sense to simply create full partition backups periodically with something like Acronis true image or Macrium reflect, than to take the performance hit from using RAID.

Some people simply insist on having self imposed color blindness even though ten other people tell them the sky is usually some shade of blue.

Solution