Confusing Overclocking on 9600k

Gwart

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I have an overclocked 9600k in an ASUS Prime Z390-A that I have at 5.0gh on 1.389v. The AIO cooler keeps the temps between 65c and 80c when stress testing. I should play with the fan curve to keep the highs a little lower. Anyway, I'm blue screening from WHEA errors when gaming but I can stress test for hours straight without issue. Is it my clocks on the cpu that are causing my blue screens or something else? How can it stress test for hours and not be able to be stable on BF V or Pubg for 15 minutes? Could it be my GPUs? I figured I'd ask the help of this forums cause I dont get how it appears to be stable but then isnt.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

wheas typically suggest low Vcore, as to why it doesn't happens in stress tests and happens while gaming is a big '?'. it could be so many things, first it would be use to tell wich stress test you're using, then see if you can get stable by dialing back 100 or 200mhz, if you do, then regardless of what you need more vcore.

some other stuff may help a bit like giving input voltage more juice, system agent but ignore that for now.

Gwart

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

I've been using the Asus extreme tuning utility to stress the CPU. Is there any program out there that would show more instability in the CPU? Is pushing the voltage up dangerous? I didn't think anything over 1.35 was great for the longevity of the chip. Is the temp going up to 80 something I should be concerned about?

Well, personally I just use AIDA64 for stress testing, the pinnacle of ruining you cpu's day is probably prime95 (as in, stress it to the max).

then, the 9th gen can take more volts, 1.35 is sort of the max safe value for 24/7, some people dont care and simply run it at 1.4v 24/7, some care even less and run at 1.45 to 1.49v. those will certainly degrade fast(er) but will still run provided they're kept cool.

tbh, I wouldn't, but some say that 1.4v is the maxestest max recommended Vcore ever forever for a 24/7, while I say "thats pushing it...", for testing purposes you can do it without any problems whatsoever. 80C is utterly undesirable for 24/7 it wont cause any problems just for a stress test run, unless you stress test 24/7 o_O.

anyways, up to 70-72 spikes while gaming etc, more than that if only you dont care about your chip.

Gwart

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

so after running Prime95 a few times I realized how unstable it actually was. Toned the clocks down and hopefully will be able to run things a bit smoother. I dont get what the other program was doing to max the cpu for a few hrs and not get the same result but still keep the CPU @ 100%.... interesting.

Thanks for your help