[SOLVED] confusing, random BSOD errors

wmbd

Prominent
Jan 1, 2021
hello

a number of weeks ago (sometime in november) my system started experiencing frequent blue screen errors, particularly when doing memory intensive things like rendering in blender or other 3d apps. nothing about my computer was changed immediately prior to this (no hardware/software updates) so i was stumped. the last changes i made to my computer were a new motherboard/cpu/extra RAM i added over the summer (around july) but i understand that that doesnt necessarily mean theyre not at fault.

i tried a number of things, most of the standard troubleshooting instructions (disk repair, sfc scannow, updating drivers, removing drivers and reinstalling, making sure no overclocking is enabled, updating BIOS, etc) and nothing seemed to be working. i tried using driver verifier and each time it would crash with a different driver as the culprit -- i started removing them one by one but eventually got so frustrated i just decided to completely reinstall windows. this lessened the number of blue screens i get, but i still get them every 2 days or so, especially if i leave my computer running overnight. sometimes they will happen while i am playing a game, but this is rare.

the problem im having is that every time i get a blue screen, the stop code is different. sometimes its SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, sometimes its KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, sometimes its WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, sometimes its something else, and the module thats "at fault" is usually different too (sometimes its ntfs.sys, sometimes ntkrnlmp.sys, sometimes svchost.exe, etc) though ntkrnlmp.sys seems to be the culprint about 50% of the time. i cannot figure out what the heck the problem is! its driving me nuts. i am not that great at reading these dumps, though, so maybe ive missed something.

ive been trying to test my memory and while ive been able to successfully run passmark's memtest86 gui for 8+ loops with no errors, i have not been able to create a memtest bootable USB because each time i try the USB is either not recognized by the computer or the program is unable to create the bootable usb (ive tried 4 different usb sticks, maybe i just need to buy a new one, i dont know).

i have 0 overclocking enabled so i am assuming that one of my memory sticks is bad but i find it difficult to verify because i cant force it to crash. i cant even get it to crash by using blender anymore; it happens completely at random, and leaving the computer on for 2+ days at a time so i can test 1 stick of memory seems excessive.

ive attached the most recent minidumps below; if anyone has any insight i would REALLY appreciate it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1koVkEkDIHxwGA6egJxxjrF0apJHV71IH?usp=sharing

Solution
Certainly are random

15th December was caused by Windows Defender Mini-Filter Driver. which is obviously part of windows... which shouldn't be causing BSOD...

ive been trying to test my memory and while ive been able to successfully run passmark's memtest86 gui for 8+ loops with no errors, i have not been able to create a memtest bootable USB because each time i try the USB is either not recognized by the computer or the program is unable to create the bootable usb (ive tried 4 different usb sticks, maybe i just need to buy a new one, i dont know).
how do you run memtest86 without making a USB? tried making it on another PC?

notices a possible cause
8192MB2133MHzCorsairCMK16GX4M2B3000C15

wmbd

Prominent
Jan 1, 2021
Have you tried updating the firmware for your motherboard?
i already updated the BIOS to the most recent version (its an asus ROG STRIX Z490-H GAMING so it was version 0901 as of the end of november). since then ive also updated the chipset and the LAN drivers. im currently updating the Intel ME as well. i couldn't find any other firmware updates for my board

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/o4z63081/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:010121-7250-01.dmp (Jan 1 2021 - 07:45:31)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 53 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:122520-9093-01.dmp (Dec 25 2020 - 10:07:11)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:8 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:121520-7156-01.dmp (Dec 15 2020 - 22:01:56)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for WdFilter.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:6 Day(s), 20 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-h-gaming-model/
There is a minor BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Certainly are random

15th December was caused by Windows Defender Mini-Filter Driver. which is obviously part of windows... which shouldn't be causing BSOD...

notices a possible cause
8192MB2133MHz08D98GX-D4-3000-MR

Why are you running 2 different types of ram in system? Try removing 1 set and see if you continue to have weird bsod. If you do, swap ram and see again.

Solution

wmbd

Prominent
Jan 1, 2021
Certainly are random

notices a possible cause

Why are you running 2 different types of ram in system? Try removing 1 set and see if you continue to have weird bsod. If you do, swap ram and see again.

thank you both for your help. the two different type of memory were due to me accidentally purchasing the wrong type of memory when i went to expand, but since i didnt experience problems for several months i didn't think anything of it until now. i'll remove one set of sticks and see how it goes.

as for memtest, i could have sworn i had downloaded a program from passmark that had been simliar to memtest but operated as a gui within windows instead of as a bootable usb, but now i can't even find the program i downloaded so it's likely i was using the wrong thing. i was making the USB sticks on another laptop, but i'll buy a new usb and try again tonight.

Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-h-gaming-model/
There is a minor BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

that is indeed the correct motherboard. thank you!

nt file system driver tried at access a memory location of -1
(-1 is often used to indicate a error and should not be passed to NTFS )

for this error I would normally be looking for a update for the storage driver and the cpu chipset for the motherboard.
website was not responding when I looked:
ROG STRIX Z490-H GAMING | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

very old drivers:
Juniper Network Agent driver
jnprvamgr.sys Wed Nov 18 09:39:04 2009
jnprns.sys Thu Oct 30 11:38:20 2014
i would use autoruns and remove these drivers if I did not need them.
Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
(uncheck the driver name or delete the driver entry)
or update the drivers if you actually need them.

also:
e2f68.sys Thu Sep 17 05:48:11 2020
you might update this to fix a known bug:
Downloads for Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V
you might also want to disable tcp/ip checksum offloading for this adapter
to prevent a known problem. Download Disabling TCP-IPv6 Checksum Offload Capability with Intel® 1/10 GbE Controllers

machine info:
BiosReleaseDate = 11/02/2020
BaseBoardManufacturer = ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoardProduct = ROG STRIX Z490-H GAMING
Identifier = REG_SZ Intel64 Family 6 Model 165 Stepping 5
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10GHz

wmbd

Prominent
Jan 1, 2021
hello again, just wanted to pop back in and say that i finally fixed it.

i followed all the suggestions in johnbl's post but still got a few blue screens; finally went out and bought a brand new USB stick and was able to get memtest working. tested the corsair sticks first and they came up with 85 errors on the first pass :fearscream: took them out and replaced them with the EVGA sticks and haven't had a blue screen since. thanks all for your help!

Reactions: gardenman