Confusing speedfan temps e8400

jackinacabin

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Hi
I have an E8400 cpu , it`s standard , no overclocking , standard intel cooler ... In sppedfan the individual cores at idle read 33 and 39 which seems ok from what I read .. what seems odd is that the last temp in the list called simply core reads as 61 c ... I don`t understand what this means and how it relates to the seperate core temps of if speedfan is talking horsedroppings for some highly convoluted reason ... so do any of you know what is 61c at idle ??? Thanks in advance

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Screenshot will show the same,
What you mean is temp 1 showing a diffrenct read as core I guess from your story.
Temp1 is most of the time the thermal reading chip below the processor on the motherboard, core1 is the actual temperature read from the chip in/on the CPU.

But 61 degrees celcius is pretty hot for in idle state... You're sure you have removed the plastic protecting layer from the Intel Stock cooler? Otherwise you should check the dividing of the cool paste over the bottom of the cooler and see if it actually covers everything and has a regualar surface.. 3 rd thing you could try is removing the old cool paste and buy new, preferable from thermalake

jackinacabin

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I have checked the seating of the cooler etc the and changed the thermal paste etc and it is now deffinately as it should be ... the temperatures are the same ... the pc runs very well , , plays crysis on high with no problems and never crashes but as you say that 61 degrees temp is a possible worry , , I want to post a screen shot to be sure that I am reading speed fan correctly . .now of course i have no clue about that other than hitting the prt sc button ( which did lard all ) .. in fact the suspect temp is now at 68 c .. it`s a warmer day , , my hard drive temps are ok ( hotest at 36c) and the gpu while a bit warm is ok as well ... I note that the core temp and the gpu temp are close to each other .. I wonder if the gpu is measured in two ways and this what I am seeing ... I think I need to post a screen shot to prevent possible confusion and wasting of other peoples energy .... so how do I post a screen shot ...

Thanks for the replies thus far