Confusion installing Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

I initiated an express service pack 4 installation from the Microsoft
website. The wizard described how to make an emergency repair
disk. When I finished, I didn't yet press "next" but noticed
a progress window "Windows Update -- Web Page Dialog". The
two progress bars were for downloading and installation. The download
was completely done, but the installation was about 30% done. I am
confused about how the installation can be 30% done when I hadn't even
"nexted" the wizard welcome. I was concerned that the emergency repair
disk was made in the middle of the installation. I waited for some time
and the hard disk stopped spinning. The task manager showed no activities
of interest (almost 100% idle). The progress bar had advanced about 2
notches in about 5 minutes. I concluded that the above progress window
was for monitoring my session at the microsoft update site. The wizard
proceeded with backing up my files (maybe that was needless, as I just
installed windows).

Would my assumption be correct, that the installation wasn't really in
progress when I made the emergency repair disk?

Am I correct in assuming that the backup was unnecessary after cleanly
installing SP1? After all, I I hit a snag and have to go back to SP1,
I might as well go to a clean reinstall. Most of the work comes from
the customization of the work environment *after* windows is installed.

Fred
--
Fred Ma
Dept. of Electronics, Carleton University

Andy

Go to the download centre and download the network version
(128MB) and you can install it without connection to the
internet.

Hope this info is useful.