Confusion on PC capabilities. (NEED HELP)

pariah30stm

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
So I have already posted a thread similar to this one that got two answers, but I feel like I am still confused on how GPUs and CPUs work together in order to make FPS faster.

Take note that I already have a whole new system in the works, so this really isn't that big of a deal.

I currently have an A8-3870k with a Radeon HD6950 gpu, 8gb of ram. This is an APU system I believe. When I try to play games like rust, Arma 2/3, Chivalry, etc I get MAYBE 20fps, most of the time its in the 10-15 range. Now the reason I am confused is this: I can go on youtube right now and find people playing battlefield 4/hardline/farcry 4 with this same exact processor with an upgraded discreet GPU at 40-60fps. Now I understand that I am only running an HD 6950, but people tell me that if I were to go ahead and buy the R9 290 that I plan on using for my new system and plug it into my current one, I won't see a significant difference in performance. So why do I see people playing highly demanding games with good FPS on med-high settings with the same processor and lower tiered GPUs?

PS: I understand the whole bottlenecking thing.

Thanks for any answers!!!

gonf

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
not too sure about your case.
but here is a video of how AMD trying to explain how and what they are trying to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dUhep0rBs
so in some case. some of the program (games) which support the AMD new programming will have somewhat of a increase in FPS with their Newer Cpu.

but why would you want to buy a high end gpu with an low end APU? the point of a APU is so you don't need a GPU to play low setting games or you can part that with a low mid end gpu so you can play games with mid setting. setup should not have been over 600 buk. I would go for a 8350 or an i5 if i were to get a high end gpu.