Question Confusion regarding kraken x62 pump header and pwm extension cable for noctis 450 fan hub

Apr 6, 2019
So I've been working on my first pc, I chose the noctis 450 rog case and a kraken x62 aio cooler, in the manual for the aio it says to connect the pump header into the CPU_FAN connector, however, the noctis 450 rog comes with a fan hub which has a white port dedicated for "cpu coolers", this uses a PWM extension cable and supposedly you should connect your "cpu cooler" to it. I'm simply wondering whether this is the proper way to go and if "cpu cooler" translates into pump header and that the PWM extension isn't only reserved for regular cpu fans. One thing worthy of noting is that that white 4 pin connector on the fan hub reserved for "cpu coolers" needs to be use in order for the hub to work properly so if I'm not supposed to plug the pump header in there, what should I plug in there instead?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do what the Kraken X62 manual says. Its design intends that the pump will always run full speed while the two fans on the radiator have their speeds controlled to adjust cooling of the CPU and keep its internal temperature under control.But in this system control actually is done by the NZXT CAM software utility that you download for free and run.

The Kraken system has four types of connections to make. From the pump there is a multi-headed cable. From that, one cable provides male fan output connectors to plug the radiator fans into. A wide connector must plug into a SATA power output from the PSU to provide power to the entire Kraken X62 system. There is a cable ending in a single thee-pin female (with holes) fan connector that MUST plug into the mobo CPU_FAN header. This cable's only real function is to send the critical pump speed signal to the CPU_FAN header. That header does not control the pump speed, but it DOES monitor the pump for failure if the pump speed goes to zero) and take action to protect the CPU from overheating if that happens. Lastly, there is a separate small cable from a socket on the pump unit to connect to a mobo USB2 port. The CAM software uses this cable to communicate with the pump unit for monitoring and control of the Kraken X62system.

Now, the case has a very useful fan HUB. Its instructions tell you to plug its only 4-pin female fan cable into the CPU_FAN header, and then plug your actual CPU cooler system of whatever type into the white Hub Port #1. This ensures that the CPU cooler speed signal will be sent back to the CPU_FAN header if you do this, AND it does one vital thing, too. This Hub can only work if it is connected to a mobo fan header that actually is using the newer PWM Mode to control its fans. In some earlier mobos, you could not be sure that the mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers were doing this to supply the PWM signal the Hub needs, whereas the CPU_FAN header almost always can do that. However, most recent mobos either already do use PWM Mode, or can be set to use it - and sometimes you actually DO need to adjust that fan header configuration in BIOS Setup. So IF your mobo can use PWM Mode on at least one of its SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers, you can plug the Hub's fan cable into that fan header and it will work. Then it is important that you connect one 4-pin fan to the Hub's white Port #1 so that it does receive a speed signal to send back to the header. The advantage of this is that the Hub, which is powering and controlling the CASE ventilation fans and not CPU cooing fans, is guided by a different temperature sensor built into the mobo, rather than by the one inside the CPU chip.

OP, you have not told us what mobo you have. Tell us maker and exact model number, and we can advise exactly how to connect the Hub.

That Hub also has a unique useful feature. In addition to its 4-pin male fan port for use with PWM-type fans, its other ports all are for 3-pin older style fans. 3-pin fans require a different method to control their speed called voltage Control Mode or DC Mode, and the newer 4-pin PWM fans also can be controlled this way. This Hub "converts" the PWM control signal system it gets from the mobo fan port into the older DC Mode and uses that method for the 3-pin output ports. Thus using this Hub you can power and control any mix of 4- pin and 3-pin fans (up to 4 of each type).

Some of the Noctis 450 ROG cases include RGB lighting units pre-mounted in the case, and a separate RGB Lighting Hub to connect them. Normally that Hub would require a connection to a mobo plain RGB header (NOT to the other style, the ADDR RGB header). So if your case has these features, too, we can advise how that RGB Hub is to be connected to your mobo.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019
Do what the Kraken X62 manual says. Its design intends that the pump will always run full speed while the two fans on the radiator have their speeds controlled to adjust cooling of the CPU and keep its internal temperature under control.But in this system control actually is done by the NZXT CAM software utility that you download for free and run.

The Kraken system has four types of connections to make. From the pump there is a multi-headed cable. From that, one cable provides male fan output connectors to plug the radiator fans into. A wide connector must plug into a SATA power output from the PSU to provide power to the entire Kraken X62 system. There is a cable ending in a single thee-pin female (with holes) fan connector that MUST plug into the mobo CPU_FAN header. This cable's only real function is to send the critical pump speed signal to the CPU_FAN header. That header does not control the pump speed, but it DOES monitor the pump for failure if the pump speed goes to zero) and take action to protect the CPU from overheating if that happens. Lastly, there is a separate sma;; cable from a socket on the pump unit to connect to a mobo USB2 port. The CAM software uses this cable to communicate with the pump unit for monitoring and control off the Kraken X62system.

Now, the case has a very useful fan HUB. Its instructions tell yoiu to plug its only 4-pin femlae fan cable into the CPU_FAN header, and then plug your actual CPU cooler system of whatever type into the white Hub Port #1. This ensures that the PCU cooler speed signal will be sent back to the CPU_FAN header if you do this, AND it does one vital thing, too. This Hub can only work if it is connected to a mobo fan header that actually is using the newer PWM Mode to control its fans. In some earlier mobos, you could not be sure that the mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers were doing this to supply the PWM signal the Hub needs, whereas the CPU_FAN header almost always can do that. However, most recent mobs eith already do use PWM Mode, or can be set to use it - and sometimes you actually DO need to adjust that fan header conioguration in BIOS Setup. So IF your mobo can use PWM Mode on at least one of its SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers, you can plug the Hub's fan cable into that fan header and it will work. Then it is important that you connect one 4-pin fan to the Hub's white Port #1 so that it does receive a speed signal to send back to the header. The advantage of this is that the Hub, which is powering and controlling the CASE ventilation fans and not CPU cooing fans, is guided by a different temperature sensor built into the mobo, rather than by the one inside the CPU chip.

OP, you have not told us what mobo you have. Tell us maker and exact model number, and we can advise exactly how to connect the Hub.

That Hub also has a unique useful feature. In addition to its four 4-pin male fan ports for use with PWM-type fans, it has four three-pin output port for 3-pin older style fans. 3-pin fans require a different method to control their speed called voltage Control Mode or DC Mode. This Hub "converts" the PWM control signal system it gets from the mobo fan port into the older DC Mode and uses that method for the 3-pin output ports. Thus using this Hub you can power and control any mix of 4- pin and 3-pin fans (up to 4 of each type).

Some of the Noctis 450 ROG cases include RGB lighing units pre-mounted in the case, and a separate RGB Lighing Hub to connect them. Normally that Hub would require a connection to a mobo plain RGB header (NOT to the other style, the ADDR RGB header). So if your case has these features, too, we can advise how that RGB Hub is to be connected to your mobo.

Based on this information I'm guessing that plugging the pump header into the CPU_FAN connector would be the most wise decision, pretty much what I was guessing, the one problem is that the other fans on the fan hub are 3 pins whereas the white connector on the fan hub is a 4 pin, it says on the manual that it must be occupied if I plug the fan hub into the cpu_opt port (which I am currently) and they advise to "plug in a fan to the white header", does this mean I can plug out one of the 3 pin fan cables and put it into the white connector instead or do I NEED a 4 pin cable to connect there, because I don't have one.

Also the mobo I'm using is the asus rog z390f

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your mobo has several fan headers. For use with the Kraken X62 system, I suggest you connect the pump's 3-pin female fan connector to the CPU_FAN header, because that is where the CAM software will expect to find the pump information.

But that does get to a problem using the included fan hub. You are correct, the instructions imply that you must have a 4-pin fan of some sort connected to the Hub's white port #1. And I recall people posting stories in this forum saying it will not work without that. Now, there are two versions of how this could play out, depending on the details. First, it is vital that the HuB receive a PWM signal from a mobo header via its "PWM Cable". You can ensure that by plugging it into either of your mobo's CHA_FAN1 or 2 headers (Manual p. 1-17). Then in BIOS Setup (p. 3-7 to 3-9) choose the particular CHA_FAN header you have used and ensure it is set (upper right of the screen) to PWM, and at bottom to Standard operation. Then click on Apply and Exit. Then you plug NO fan into the white Port #1, OR a 4-pin fan (you don't have one now). If you use any 4-pin fan, it all should work just fine. If you plug into that header a 3-pin fan, it will always run full speed, OR it may not work at all. The unknown here is what the Hub will try to do with that header. If it does nothing fancy and sort of "assumes" that Port #1 is just to be treated as a 4-pin PWM fan port, it should work with NO fan plugged in there. BUT you might get an error message from the BIOS telling you the "CPU fan" (that is, the one attached to the Hub) or a case fan has failed because the Hub port is NOT receiving a speed signal with no fan there. If the Hub itself gets upset with no speed signal on that port and refuses to work, then all the Hub's fans will fail. In that case, plugging a 3-pin fan into that port may get the Hub to work, but it also may make that particular fan run at constant full speed.

There is another approach you can use with only the four 3-pin case fans supplied with the case. You simply do not install and connect that fan Hub. The case web page says it includes three 120mm FN V2 fans for the front, and one 140 mm FN V2 for the rear. Get a 3-output fan SPLITTER like this

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-163-_-Product

Although it is a 4-pin model, it will work with 3-pin fans just fine. Use it to connect all three front fans to the CHA_FAN2 header near the front on your mobo. Then plug the rear fan into the CHA_FAN1 header near rear middle. For each of these two headers, configure them to use the DC Mode (manual p. 3-8) so they can control these 3-pin fans properly. The power requirements of those front fans (max 0.16 A each) mean that the CHA_FAN2 header (capacity up to 1.0 A total load) can handle three of them easily. This is the easiest way to deal with those four 3-pin fans supplied with the case and NOT use the included Hub with its attendant difficult requirements.

Last item, in case you need help on this. The case also includes a different Hub for its included RGB lighting strips. That hub also has a cable to connect it to a mobo plain RGB header, and your mobo has two. See your manual, p. 1-22. Do NOT try to use the Addressable RGB header (p. 1-23). This allows you to use the AURA SYNC software utility included with your mobo to power and control the RGB lighting effects of the case.

Apr 6, 2019
Your mobo has several fan headers. For use with the Kraken X62 system, I suggest you connect the pump's 3-pin female fan connector to the CPU_FAN header, because that is where the CAM software will expect to find the pump information.

But that does get to a problem using the included fan hub. You are correct, the instructions imply that you must have a 4-pin fan of some sort connected to the Hub's white port #1. And I recall people posting stories in this forum saying it will not work without that. Now, there are two versions of how this could play out, depending on the details. First, it is vital that the HuB receive a PWM signal from a mobo header via its "PWM Cable". You can ensure that by plugging it into either of your mobo's CHA_FAN1 or 2 headers (Manual p. 1-17). Then in BIOS Setup (p. 3-7 to 3-9) choose the particular CHA_FAN header you have used and ensure it is set (upper right of the screen) to PWM, and at bottom to Standard operation. Then click on Apply and Exit. Then you plug NO fan into the white Port #1, OR a 4-pin fan (you don't have one now). If you use any 4-pin fan, it all should work just fine. If you plug into that header a 3-pin fan, it will always run full speed, OR it may not work at all. The unknown here is what the Hub will try to do with that header. If it does nothing fancy and sort of "assumes" that Port #1 is just to be treated as a 4-pin PWM fan port, it should work with NO fan plugged in there. BUT you might get an error message from the BIOS telling you the "CPU fan" (that is, the one attached to the Hub) or a case fan has failed because the Hub port is NOT receiving a speed signal with no fan there. If the Hub itself gets upset with no speed signal on that port and refuses to work, then all the Hub's fans will fail. In that case, plugging a 3-pin fan into that port may get the Hub to work, but it also may make that particular fan run at constant full speed.

There is another approach you can use with only the four 3-pin case fans supplied with the case. You simply do not install and connect that fan Hub. The case web page says it includes three 120mm FN V2 fans for the front, and one 140 mm FN V2 for the rear. Get a 3-output fan SPLITTER like this

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423163&Description=coboc fan splitter&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter--12-423-163--Product

Although it is a 4-pin model, it will work with 3-pin fans just fine. Use it to connect all three front fans to the CHA_FAN2 header near the front on your mobo. Then plug the rear fan into the CHA_FAN1 header near rear middle. For each of these two headers, configure them to use the DC Mode (manual p. 3-8) so they can control these 3-pin fans properly. The power requirements of those front fans (max 0.16 A each) mean that the CHA_FAN2 header (capacity up to 1.0 A total load) can handle three of them easily. This is the easiest way to deal with those four 3-pin fans supplied with the case and NOT use the included Hub with its attendant difficult requirements.

Last item, in case you need help on this. The case also includes a different Hub for its included RGB lighting strips. That hub also has a cable to connect it to a mobo plain RGB header, and your mobo has two. See your manual, p. 1-22. Do NOT try to use the Addressable RGB header (p. 1-23). This allows you to use the AURA SYNC software utility included with your mobo to power and control the RGB lighting effects of the case.

Thank you ever so much for the help, I was aware of the RGB hub by the way :p, I contacted NZXT support with this because I'm not very keen on changing the position of the fan cables as I want to keep them in the hub so I'm simply making sure with them whether I can connect a 3 pin there or not.

Apr 6, 2019

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423163&Description=coboc fan splitter&cm_re=coboc_fan_splitter--12-423-163--Product

Do you think connecting the 4 pin extension cable that the white cpu cooler connector uses would work if I'd be to connect one of the 3 pin fan cables into it? It's originally given just in case your cpu cooler's cable isn't long enough

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
As you say, that extension cable is simply if you need a long line to the fan. It has no effect on performance. So IF the Hub will work properly with a 3-pin fan connected to the white Port #1 of the Hub, using the extension cable will make no difference. Any 4-pin fan cable and connector CAN work just fine with a 3-pin fan because it only extends the wires without making any changes to electrical connections.

Apr 6, 2019
As you say, that extension cable is simply if you need a long line to the fan. It has no effect on performance. So IF the Hub will work properly with a 3-pin fan connected to the white Port #1 of the Hub, using the extension cable will make no difference. Any 4-pin fan cable and connector CAN work just fine with a 3-pin fan because it only extends the wires without making any changes to electrical connections.

Okay thanks for the input! Sorry if I'm being a bit repetitive with my questions but just to clarify I should then be able to connect my 3 pin fan cable into the 4 pin white connector? Or should I avoid this entirely?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is what I was trying to get at in the long second paragraph of my post Apr 12. I am not SURE what this Hub will do if the white Port #1 has plugged into it a 3-pin fan, or has NO fan. You will need to experiment.

Plug one of your case's 3-pin fans into Port #1 (does not matter whether or not you use the extension cable) and start up. If the Hub is doing thin gs the straightforward way, all the case fans will run but the one fan plugged into Port #1 will always run full speed, while the other two will run slower under automatic control. You may or may not think this is OK. But if the fans all DO work, that's an option.

Alternatively, leave NO fan plugged into Port #1 and connect all three 3-pin fans to other ports. IF this works and all those fans are running at speeds that change under varying workloads, you will be OK. Hint for checking carefully: watch those three fans immediately when you start up. What should happen is that all of them start up at full speed for just a few seconds, and then all slow down to a stable running speed. This is the normal process - use full power to ensure the fans start, then slow them down to what is needed. If your fans do this, you know the control system is working.

Now, in the second alternative with no fan on Port #1, your mobo may warn you that the case fan on that mobo header (connected to the Hub) has failed. See if you can disable that warning.