Question Confusion regarding RTX 4090 power adapter ?

MachoFantastico

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Hi folks,

So I have a pretty simple question regarding the RTX 4090 12VHPWR power adapter that's to come with most 4090 cards so that older PSUs are able to run these brand new GPUs. From the images I've seen, there appears to be the main single connection to the 4090 cards that you plug in, but there are four separate connections that I'm unclear about. Is the purpose that all four connections go straight into the PCI-E plugs of the PSU? The adapters don't seem particularly long so would they require the use of the PSU's PCI-E connections to then daisy chain the adapter to the PSU? Are all four connections required?

I ask these questions because I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I appreciate that this might be a dumb question, but if I were to say that my last GPU purchase was a GTX 1070 you might have an idea how long I've been out of the PC tech scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,

So I have a pretty simple question regarding the RTX 4090 12VHPWR power adapter that's to come with most 4090 cards so that older PSUs are able to run these brand new GPUs. From the images I've seen, there appears to be the main single connection to the 4090 cards that you plug in, but there are four separate connections that I'm unclear about. Is the purpose that all four connections go straight into the PCI-E plugs of the PSU? The adapters don't seem particularly long so would they require the use of the PSU's PCI-E connections to then daisy chain the adapter to the PSU? Are all four connections required?

I ask these questions because I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I appreciate that this might be a dumb question, but if I were to say that my last GPU purchase was a GTX 1070 you might have an idea how long I've been out of the PC tech scene.
The 4 connectors DO NOT go into the PSU. You use 4 pcie 8 pin power cables to connect to the adapter and power the 4090. All 4 are required. Additionally you could wait for an AMD card that doesn't need this.

Reactions: MachoFantastico

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is the purpose that all four connections go straight into the PCI-E plugs of the PSU?

No.

Are all four connections required?

Very much so.

would they require the use of the PSU's PCI-E connections to then daisy chain the adapter to the PSU?

Don't use daisy-chain. Instead, each individual PCI-E power cable must go from adapter to PSU.

E.g don't hook the adapter like seen on left. Instead hook it as seen on right:

kA090000000Dl43_2.jpg

Reactions: MachoFantastico

MachoFantastico

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2013
Ah, okay. Believe I understand now. So you use all four PCIe connections that come with the PSU to then connect it to the 4090 power adapter which then connects to the GPU. Makes sense I guess, though the adapters being released by Corsair, etc, should clean things up cable-wise, at least until ATX 3.0 PSUs come out.

This video from eTeknix with Corsair clears up some of the confusion I had. Sounds like all four connections are used to ensure that the card gets sufficient power but doesn't necessarily need all the connections, it's somewhat of a failsafe. Noticed some adapters come with three connections, whilst others have four.

Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
at least until ATX 3.0 PSUs come out.

Several are coming soon:
1st one was MSI, article: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-first-atx-3-compliant-psu
Next in line was Seasonic, article: https://seasonic.com/news/post/sea-sonic-to-launch-new-vertex/
And some others as well, like Asus, Thermaltake and Silverstone, article: https://www.club386.com/next-gen-atx-3-0-power-supplies-from-multiple-vendors-detailed-inside/

But for time being, adapter is needed. Seasonic and Corsair offer their own adapters.

Noticed some adapters come with three connections, whilst others have four.

All RTX 40 series GPUs have the new, 16-pin PCI-E connector. Now, adapters wise:
4x PCI-E 8-pin connectors per 16-pin adapter = for RTX 4090
3x PCI-E 8-pin connectors per 16-pin adapter = for RTX 4080
2x PCI-E 8-pin connectors per 16-pin adapter = for RTX 4070/4060

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, okay. Believe I understand now. So you use all four PCIe connections that come with the PSU to then connect it to the 4090 power adapter which then connects to the GPU. Makes sense I guess, though the adapters being released by Corsair, etc, should clean things up cable-wise, at least until ATX 3.0 PSUs come out.

This video from eTeknix with Corsair clears up some of the confusion I had. Sounds like all four connections are used to ensure that the card gets sufficient power but doesn't necessarily need all the connections, it's somewhat of a failsafe. Noticed some adapters come with three connections, whilst others have four.

Thanks for the help folks, much appreciated.
A bunch of the power supply makers are going to be selling cables that the 16 pin for the video card plugs into your power supply 8 pin slots.

Also sold by replacement suppliers like cablemod.

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I contacted ModDIY in UK for a custom 16-pin to VGA x 3 power cable, to go from the GPU directly to my PSU. I was worried about case clearance, since the 4090 is 150mm high and the adapter converters are THICK and my case having 170mm clearance...ModDIY says their cable is soft and can make the bend in the 20mm left above the card, which those adapter dongle things can't. Going to have one cut to length once I get things put together and run my new system without a side panel for a bit.

Maybe case makers should add GPU adapter bulges to the side panels, sort of like they put bulges in car hoods for superchargers? 🙃

https://www.moddiy.com/products/ATX...iple-8-Pin-to-12VHPWR-16-Pin-Power-Cable.html

Paul

I contacted ModDIY in UK for a custom 16-pin to VGA x 3 power cable, to go from the GPU directly to my PSU. I was worried about case clearance, since the 4090 is 150mm high and the adapter converters are THICK and my case having 170mm clearance...ModDIY says their cable is soft and can make the bend in the 20mm left above the card, which those adapter dongle things can't. Going to have one cut to length once I get things put together and run my new system without a side panel for a bit.

Maybe case makers should add GPU adapter bulges to the side panels, sort of like they put bulges in car hoods for superchargers? 🙃

https://www.moddiy.com/products/ATX...iple-8-Pin-to-12VHPWR-16-Pin-Power-Cable.html

Paul
That looks fine