[SOLVED] Confusion with pci riser card

Magnarider

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2014
Hi I have some questions about pci riser cards and m.2 drive compatibility issues. OK so I have a Rosewill RCRC-17001 mining card https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812119888 here is the link for the riser card. My 2nd component is Ampcom M.2 NVME PCI adaptor card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876MLNY6?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1 My 3rd component is a Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVME 250 GB ssd https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MG119KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I ordered the Ampcom M.2 adaptor card thinking my motherboard was pci x 4 when it is pci x 1 My motherboard is MSI B250M Bazooka with i5 7400 cpu. My MOBO only has 1 M.2 slot which already has a WD750 in it. I want to add this M.2 drive.

So can I use the Rosewill riser to plug my Ampcom adaptor into it? So the Rosewill riser is pci x 1 which will go into the mobo and then I will plug the Ampcom with the m.2 drive into the Rosewill riser will that work?

Thx

Solution
That PCIE riser will absolutely butcher performance of PCIE 3.0 x4 M.2 drive ( even if you used with PCIE 3.0 x16 slot).
You'll get even more butchered performance in PCIE 2.0 x1 slot.
M.2 performance will be 1/8 of, what the drive is capable of.
Total waste of 970 evo. Will not perform any better than a regular sata drive.

Does your system have a discrete graphics card?
If no, then put pcie M.2 adapter in PCIE x16 slot instead.
That's the only way to get full performance on additional NVME drive. Or get a new motherboard with better PCIE connectivity.
That PCIE riser will absolutely butcher performance of PCIE 3.0 x4 M.2 drive ( even if you used with PCIE 3.0 x16 slot).

That's the only way to get full performance on additional NVME drive. Or get a new motherboard with better PCIE connectivity.

Solution

Magnarider

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2014

So if I wasnt worried about performance those parts would work?

I have a RTX 2060 in the only x16 slot.

Would an external enclosure be better? If so is there 1 you would recommend?

Thx

If you get a new board with multiple M.2 slots (NVME compatible), then none of those risers/adapters are necessary.

If you get a new board with only single M.2 slot but multiple PCIE x16 or x4 slots, then only adapter card is necessary.
If your graphics card obstructs those additional slots, then a different pcie riser is necessary. Either PCIE x4 or PCIE x16.

Magnarider

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2014
If you get a new board with multiple M.2 slots (NVME compatible), then none of those risers/adapters are necessary.

If you get a new board with only single M.2 slot but multiple PCIE x16 or x4 slots, then only adapter card is necessary.
If your graphics card obstructs those additional slots, then a different pcie riser is necessary. Either PCIE x4 or PCIE x16.

I can only access the pci x 1 slot under the graphics card. Only the Gpu riser is pci x 1 the m.2 adaptor is pci x 4

1024.png

Reactions: Magnarider