Congressman Unveils Bill to Fight ISP Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Exactly!
Take the licence from TWC. we do not need stupid ideas which will drag US backwards.
SOmeone throw shoe size 10 to TWC CEO, please. or hack their system and let their system fried

anders009

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It's nice to see that there is someone on the hill with some common sense and/or listening to the people they are supposed to represent.

anders009

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It's nice to see that there is some common sense still on the Hill and that they are actually listening to the folks that put them there to represent them.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Go get them! Beat down the monopolies that control our crap internet. When someone gets serious about it, maybe we can finally get some good internet.

MotorMouth

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I'm all for something to be done BY US THE CONSUMER. TWC has a right to charge whatever they want. And we have the right not to buy what they sale! The government needs to stop this crap. I don't like what they're doing but we have the finale say so. Don't buy it!!!

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]ChaosGS[/nom]Finally a big guy standing up for the little guys.[/citation]

or maybe he's just faking it to offset the fact that he's taking huge amount of money from the companies he's now looking to regulate...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
"Time Warner has announced an ill-conceived plan to charge residential and business broadband fees based on the amount of data they download. They have yet to explain how increased internet usage increases their costs."

Even better, I want a cable company to explain to me how reducing the total amount of data downloaded in a month helps the problem of not having enough bandwidth at any given moment. Even if everyone had a 5GB cap, if they all chose to download at the same time, it wouldn't solve anything, there would still be bottle necks. Its not total usage over time, its total usage at any given moment.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
My only fear is that this could end up being one step toward our government mandating what companies can and cannot do with the internet. We always talk about NOT regulating the internet, and I wonder if a bill passing that tells an ISP what they can and cannot do will lead to larger issues.

My point is that caps suck balls. There's no two ways about it. I just wonder if it's a government issue. One way for TWC to get rid of the cap idea is for users to switch providers. That'll make more noise than anything.

I don't know. Just thinking out loud. I'd just hate to see a bill two years from now regulating something with the net now that the door might be open to federal regulations. The last thing we need is the FCC wondering if they can get their hands on the internet.

But yeah, caps suck. I'm just nervous.

Ho0d1um

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]MotorMouth[/nom]I'm all for something to be done BY US THE CONSUMER. TWC has a right to charge whatever they want. And we have the right not to buy what they sale! The government needs to stop this crap. I don't like what they're doing but we have the finale say so. Don't buy it!!![/citation]

The problem is that in some areas there is no other choice for broadband internet. I only have the choice of 1.5 Mbit DSL or 10 Mbit Cable. This, I hope, will help keep any company from overchargeing for their service.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
To follow up with my comment and someone mentioning monopolies, that might be the bigger issue. We have laws to avoid or eliminate monopolies, but we seem to have hit a rut with allowing just a few huge companies to offer the same service at a similarly high price. That's part of the problem.

Where I live I have ONE cable option and ONE dsl option. They both overcharge for 1.5meg service. That sucks. Where's the competition?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]MotorMouth[/nom]I'm all for something to be done BY US THE CONSUMER. TWC has a right to charge whatever they want. And we have the right not to buy what they sale! The government needs to stop this crap. I don't like what they're doing but we have the finale say so. Don't buy it!!![/citation]

ok sounds good, what if twc is the only broadband service around. what then do they get to charge as much as they want. what happens to the citizens, do they have to move out of the area.

the reason that government gets to have an input is because they companies have made deals with the local governments which have allowed them to exclusively control areas of the country without competition.

i know of towns where they have even made it hard to install dishes which competes against the cable companies that the town has struct a franchise with.

then again we have the best government money can buy...

dravis12

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
It's not a government issue. Don't get me wrong, I hate cappin' as much as the next guy, but bringing the federal government into it will only cause problems into the long run.

The U.S. government dosen't have the best track record with "solving problems" and not screwing the average citizen in the process.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
:0 let just force IPv6 need more ip addresses in my routers! I'm fine with GB caps as long as it's above 100g at min i'm fine with it, imo comcast 250gb is plenty for most users and logical even a heavy user would have to do alot to pass it downloading a good amount of hd movies over the month. Anything less then 100g imo at even dsl speeds is a slap to the face.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I can understand that TWC is trying to stop consumers from illegally downloading movies and music from the internet, but capping is not going to stop large or small organized crime syndicates from this?

They in turn would have many locations so downloading is not a problem.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Time Warner already lost a bunch of subscribers (including me) to their cable services in Western New York when they didn't air the Buffalo Bills games for a few weeks.

I guess TW didn't feel like paying the local station (that actually aired the game), because people could still watch the game for free anyways over the antenna, big difference was in the signal quality!
TW ended up paying for the station again after a few weeks of bleeding customers. Seems like they haven't learned their lesson.

Even though I canceled their TV service, I still have them as an ISP. Now I am ready to switch off of them completely as soon as FiOS is available.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I have to agree - the U.S. govt. doesn't have the best record with joe-blow or what was it, joe the plumber? But the U.S. govt. does have a big stick it can swing at Time Warner and I am all 100% for that! I am just elated to hear someone actually has some common sense to and is working on something that effects a lot of us out here - unlike the tv news who has nothing better to talk about or push on american citizens than the fact that the president got a dog. Uh yeah, that's important and effects my daily life, sure. I better make sure to DVR that priceless 15 minute jewel of tv news media! Was the dog bought with my tax dollars? :p Grrr - now I'm thinking about the talk of nationalizing banks and the stupid oil companys!

cielmerlion

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
[citation][nom]dravis12[/nom]It's not a government issue. Don't get me wrong, I hate cappin' as much as the next guy, but bringing the federal government into it will only cause problems into the long run.The U.S. government dosen't have the best track record with "solving problems" and not screwing the average citizen in the process.[/citation]

The problem is that the people that TWC does this to dont have much choice, thats why theyre doing it to them. I believe that the government should protect the rights of the people.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

you are obviously to stupid to understand that in many counties there is one IP offered and raising rates and placing caps hurts everyone there..

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I am not for government control, but when they allow local monopolies, there may be no other choice to switch to. I only have 2 options, Comcast Cable or dial-up, and I really don't consider dial-up an option.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'm just glad someone in Congress recognized that there was a business out there was trying to make American broadband go backwards. In an era where just about every middle-class Korean and Japanese family can afford a 100mbps PARALLEL (Same speed ups and down) connection, god knows its about time we stepped up virtual production over on this side of the world.

Bravo. Let's just hope government interference doesn't get out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.