Question Connect a Label Printer via LAN Port directly to PC in Windows 11

May 11, 2023
Hi

The problem:
I have 2 identical Label printers RP410. If I connect them via USB I can be lucky if both are correctly installed... but most of the time only one USB virtual printer port is visible (USB001) and i can only print on one printer(also random on which after each restart). I tried every combination of ports and hubs etc... nothing helps Windows 11 hates printers...

My possible solution:
Connect one of the printers directly to the PC via LAN port The printer has a LAN Port and the PC also has a free LAN port. The PC is connected to the Internet via Wlan and no other LAN connection is in range so I cant connect them to the router network

Questions:
How can i assign an IP address to the printer when i directly connect them to the PC? The label printer does not have any controls...
Or is there a small free/cheap DHCP server tool?
Are there any other solutions?

Toaran

Ralston18

Titan
This label printer?

https://www.rongtatech.com/rp410-4inch-label-barcode-printer-bluetooth-usb_p34.html

I do not see LAN port although it appears there are placeholder cutouts on the linked model.

Are you trying to connect both printers at the same time?

Is the host computer being used to share the printer with other network computers. Or just a standalone configuration? Point of Sale for example....

My thought would be to use a USB to Ethernet adapter and plug the printer(s) into the network.

However, more information is neeed about the required setup.

Reactions: Toaran
I assume you mean the printer will be too far away from the pc if you connect it to the router with ethernet. It technically will work to send the data over wifi and then it is sent on the the printer.
All this depends on how the printer is designed to run on a network. I am too lazy to read the manual for you so it is a matter of seeing what the printer will support.

Its too bad you can't set a ip manually on the printer it would be pretty simple to get this to work using the ethernet as a different network than your wifi.

Maybe microsoft internet connection sharing will work. It is generally designed to run the other way sharing the ethernet with wifi devices but you used to be able to configure to work either way. Microsoft has made a lot of changes to this stuff so I am unsure how much is still supported. Before the days of encrypted wifi you could just bridge the 2 ports.

I am unsure if there is a dhcp server and/or if windows can do it without a app. If you have a old router laying around you could just use 2 lan ports to connect the pc and printer. You only would need 100mbps ports. You will have to change the IP range used on the ethernet connection so it does not overlap the wifi.

Reactions: Toaran
May 11, 2023
Hi

i think someone found a solution for the IP address Problem...
There is a tool from one manufacturer of these printers (they exist in many different versions some with LAN some without...
)

With the tool you can set the ip address of the printer... so i can set my PC LAN Port to a fixed address and connect the printer.

Thank You