Connect external hdd to router

strummer888

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I have a 3.0 usb external hdd. It has two usb connectors. My wifi router only has one USB port. Should I get a hub? I can't seem to find any routers with two ports.

Solution
Check router manual regarding the devices allowed for that port. It may be limited in the load it can support on its own.

Your external drive needs two USB ports: one for data, one for power.

A simple hub may not work. A USB hub with a supplemental power supply might work.

The USB cabling would be something like one USB cable from router to hub input port. Then the external HDD would use two of the USB ports. The hub then powered via the supplemental power supply.

Ralston18

Titan
Check router manual regarding the devices allowed for that port. It may be limited in the load it can support on its own.

Your external drive needs two USB ports: one for data, one for power.

A simple hub may not work. A USB hub with a supplemental power supply might work.

The USB cabling would be something like one USB cable from router to hub input port. Then the external HDD would use two of the USB ports. The hub then powered via the supplemental power supply.

Solution

strummer888

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

Hi guys, OP here, thanks a lot for your answer! I'm thinking of upgrading my router to an 11ac so I imagine they've all got USB 3.0 ports? Anyway, I saw a hdd enclosure on sale with a single USB cable; should I go that route? I forgot to mention that I want to use it with my plex server.

Ralston18

Titan
Check whatever router(s) you are interested in to be sure. Read the specifications carefully. Check manufacturer FAQs and forums.

My Linksys 1900ac has two USB ports; one 2.0 and the other 3.0.

I use the 3.0 port with a flash drive as a destination for downloads. Has been sensitive to some USB flash drives from time to time. And I do have a 3.0 USB external hard drive with its own power supply. That drive is used and moved about between PC's for backups, miscellaneous testing, and use. Very flexible.

I do not like to place "heavy" loads such as HDD's or DVD/CD players that depend on USB ports for power. Not so bad for a desktop maybe. However not what I would do on a router.

Smorizio's idea is more the sort of thing I would do. Put the HDD in an external case with its own power supply and ethernet port. Plug the "NAS" into a router LAN port.