Connect GTX 1050 Ti with old monitor

blaze077

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I just received my EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC. I wanted to connect it to my monitor, but it seems my monitor has only three ports: VGA, DVI-D, and an "Audio in" port. The GTX, on the other hand, only has DVI-D, HDMI, and a DisplayPort.
For the video, a DVI-D cable should work fine, but I'm confused as to how I would enable audio.

Side Note: I realized that the GTX was too big for my case, so I might buy a PCI card extension and keep it outside. Would that be fine?

Thank you.

Solution
Get an aux cable and connect it to your monitor and then connect the other side to your aux-in on the back of your pc, not on the graphics card. On the other side note, I have no idea if that would work, it might tho.

Yee_Man

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Get an aux cable and connect it to your monitor and then connect the other side to your aux-in on the back of your pc, not on the graphics card. On the other side note, I have no idea if that would work, it might tho.

Solution

blaze077

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I already have it set up that way, but doesn't the graphics card output its own audio of some sort or is it the same as that outputted by the motherboard? I'm not sure how this audio stuff works @_@

Thank you.

Yee_Man

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Its a graphics card, it wasnt designed to output audio. With HDMI however, you can have audio, so they changed that. There is no gpu in the world that has an audio in on it. The aux cable is the only way to go.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
In what way is the card too big? Too tall? If so, MSI makes a low profile version that works very well, which includes both full height and low profile PCI bracket. If it's too long, then I'm afraid no other card will fit as there aren't any cards significantly shorter than those EVGA models. I wouldn't recommend running your card outside of the chassis unless you're ok with potential damage that might occur (physical from accidental mishandling, electrostatic discharge, etc).

blaze077

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
The card is too tall vertically so it just doesn't fit in, and just barely fits horizontally (really cramped). After seeing your post, I won't go for a PCI extension; I would rather not get my GPU damaged. I think I'll get a new case instead!

Thank you.