Question Connect non network machine to USB storage and export data via ethernet as a NAS?

Sep 15, 2020
Hello,

I have a machine that does not have network connectivity. I am looking to attach a drive somehow to it via usb, but also be able to connect that drive as a NAS unit to view the data. Is there an adapter or anyway to make this happen?

It is in an area that we do not visit often so going and getting the drive would not be ideal.

Id like to write the files from the machine to a folder on the usb. Then make the drive appear as a local USB but make it available to view as a network share.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020
So I understand this correctly, you want to attach a drive to a computer via USB to a machine that doesn't have network connectivity, but have the drive also connected to a network?

There will be no PC involved until data collection. The goal is to have a NAS that I can view from a pc over the network not connected USB. That NAS will be connected to a machine via USB (not a PC) that sends a data file every night to the NAS through a certain file path.

Machine <-----(usb cable)----> NAS <-------(ethernet)-----> Switch <-----(ethernet)----> PC

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Got it.

So the unfortunate thing is as far as I can find, no product exists that allows a NAS to act like a DAS or vice versa. Even the "it's so easy my grandma can do it" NAS products.

What kind of machine on the USB side are we working with here? Does it have something resembling a typical OS? If so, that opens up a lot of alternative solutions.

USAFRet

Titan
You think your QNAP can share a volume to a host via USB?
EDIT:
This page shows selected NAS with a USB-C connector can share via USB -- https://www.qnap.com/en-au/how-to/f...s-via-usb-or-esata-cable-and-access-the-data/
I know it can.

This, from my main PC.
The 4 circled drives are in a 4 bay MediaSonic box, connected only to the QNAP via USB.
5RJzwgt.png

kanewolf

Titan
-----
Machine <-----(usb cable)----> NAS <-------(ethernet)-----> Switch <-----(ethernet)----> PC
------

The only difference is their "machine" = my MediaSonic box. All else is the same ethernet between NAS and PC.
Right. The mediasonic shows up as a USB storage device to the QNAP. But a laptop (for example) wouldn't
If the mediasonic was attempting to access shares, then it would be equivalent.
My interpretation of what the OP wants is similar to the WD MyCloud or Seagate devices where you can have direct USB connectivity to storage AND ethernet at the same time.

Sep 15, 2020
Right.
I guess the question is...what is the "machine", and can it pass through a USB connected storage device.

Or,a s you say, a MyCloud thing which can talk USB and ethernet at the same time.

The machine is a XRF Spectrometer that outputs a file we need. The plan would be to make a script to export the file to the NAS directly and then we can access the NAS from our main location.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020
What NAS is it?
I'm fairly sure my QNAP can do this, and I know it would to it with a router in the middle, between PC and NAS.

We do not have a NAS yet. Just trying to brainstorm how to get the files from the machine stored and viewable from a networked pc before spending alot more money on a new machine with network connectivity.

Sep 15, 2020
It only outputs files via USB? That makes me think the thing needs software on a computer to read, interpret, and save the information, not unlike say a scanner.

Right now it does a pdf output that we can save. It has an android looking software on it. We are looking to get the data so use with our ERP.

Sep 15, 2020
Sneaker net between the specrograph and NAS. The problem is simultaneous USB and ethernet connectivity. Moving a drive between the two units would eliminate the simultaneous interface requirement.

Yea were trying to eliminate that step. We want it to automatically run when the test are done and sent out.