Connect pc, modem, router and another pc together

victoroos

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
Hello all

This will be my first post on the forum, let's do it.

After reading the excellent guide " ultimate modem/router setup thread" I thought, maybe I can do it too.
Cause now, I can't print from my pc, because the printer is connected to a pc In the living room, which is connected to another (tp w4300) router.
I think I set the DNS right.. which in my case is 192.168.2.254 and as said, I think that is set alright.
However, when I want to set my ip of the tp router, I have the option to set it at " LAN" or "WAN"
At WAN, I can't change the IP. and it shows the one the modem has assigned to it via the dhcp.
But at the lan, when I set my ip to 192.168.2.255, I get an error 'bad lan ip".
Can anyone help me with this problem?
vkr
victor
:)

G

Generally we don't assign IPs containing .255 to devices (Google for why). Change this part and most likely you'll be fine.

victoroos

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
Hm, I see what you mean. however, the modem is from my isp, and I seem no9t to be able to change the ip address of it, or is this not required, and should I only change the dhcp setting of the modem
(thanks for the amazingly fast awnser!)

G

The WAN interface will have an IP assigned through your ISPs DHCP server. You do not need to be concerned by this.

The LAN interface is yours to configure as you choose. You might prefer to configure the modem as 192.168.2.1. The device will then route traffic from your LAN out to the WAN.

victoroos

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015

I see. I however am not able/allowed by the ISP to change the ip adres from my my modem (192.168.2.254) to anything else..

victoroos

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015

i don't see a thing where I can change my ip address on the modem (provide by the isp) only the router.
If I ignore the advise given in the guide, and assign a static address to the router (192.168.2.1) that is fine right?
But what do I have to set further.. cause I don't understand that. On the router or the modem I mean?.

victoroos

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
If I try to change the LAn ip on my tp link router, it says tht it can't be in the same subnet as the WAN ip.. (2, in this case I think)
What should I do about that?. in the guide.. it is also 2.. so I don't understand

From what I can figure out, you have two routers connected with one used as a switch right?

Is DHCP off on that router? Is it connected to the first router with a regular LAN port? Did you assign it a valid IP address (does not matter what, but you can't use 255 like you tried to). I'd set the DHCP scope on the first router to someting like.1 to 200 and assign the second router a 201 address. You should not need to set the DNS in the router to anything, just leave it at default settings.

Aside from that, the issue is with printing to a shared printer or with general connections on the second router? If just printing, did you share the printer out? Are the computers all in the same workgroup or homegroup? If you do an ipconfig on the compuers do all the numbers match up?