Connect radiator fans to PSU?

zettez

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014
I have a Corsair Hydro H110 water cooler, a Corsair 900D chassi, a ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard and a Corsair ax1200i PSU. I also have 9 fans (7 chassi and 2 radiator).

My motherboard only has 8 headers for fans, so I plugged 7 (chassi) of my fans into the PSU and left my other 2 (radiator) in OPT_FAN1 and OPT_FAN3. I plugged my water cooler into CPU_FAN. I choose not to put a radiator fan in CPU_OPT because I want consistency between my radiator fans, I do not want one to go slower than the other one.

Should I put my radiator fans into my PSU instead of my motherboard?

Solution
Through the PSU everything will run full speed, through the board it is speed controlled which is preferred by most. I personally think putting the radiator fans on the PSU is fine but leave the rest as is.

zettez

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014

Thanks for the answer. I use AF140mm as chassi fans and the radiator fans are the ones that came with my H110.

Is it recommended to run everything through my PSU instead?

zettez

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014

Would there be any damage to my system if I ran everything from the PSU? I do not mind the noise. I was thinking mostly about my water cooler, will the pump be ok to run at 100%? And is there any problem if my system gets "too cold"?

zettez

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014

I heard the pump should be at 100% constant speed and the fans are what should be controlled. Is this true?

zettez

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014

Thanks, what about this setup:

CPU_FAN = first radiator fan.
CPU_OPT = second radiator fan.
PSU = all other fans + radiator pump?