CONNECT RAID HARD DRIVE TO NON-RAID PC

cmdornan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
hi, i am hoping someone will be able to help. i hav 2 identical samsung 400gb (HD403LJ) sata hard drives that until 5 mins ago were installed in an icybox ib-nas4220-b hard drive. i have removed them as the drive is constantly crashing when i try to transfer large files to or from that drive.

that nas is being returned to the manufacturer and in the meantime i need to access my files on these hard drives. when i originally installed the drives into the nas many months ago, i chose the mirroring facility as i didnt want to lose any data as i had done in the past so mirroring was my only option.

when i connected the hard drive to my pc as a normal hard drive, it did not appear in my computer but did in device manager > disk drives.

MY QUESTION IS: how do i access my files which are on that mirrored hard drive connected to my PC?

i am very familiar with building and upgrading pcs etc however have extremely limted experience of raid so all elaborated suggestions are welcome.

chris

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Normaly with RAID1 you should be able to access the data; however these things are Linux based (old 2.4 kernel) and use ext2/3 as the drive format.

You either need a Linux based PC, or a Windows ext driver.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Agreed RAID 1 is normally fine if you just want to access a single drive to read however do not write to it! That'll invalidate the RAID 1 causing issues when you get your NAS back.

cmdornan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
thanks for the replies. with reference to setting up a linux operating system, would ubuntu (unsure of the version) be suitable? Is there anything in particular i would need to do on the OS in order to read the files on the drive?

Please add any comments you think may be relevant to fix this problem.

chris

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
You should be able to do it with an Ubuntu Live CD (without installing), stick the drive in a USB caddy, boot from the Live CD, connect the caddy and see if the file can be read.

cmdornan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
i used the live ubuntu cd and installed the drive into a sata port on the board as i didnt have any usb caddys handy. unfortunately this did not work either which i thought it should have.

any other suggestions?

cmdornan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Hi again guys, a full explanation on everything ive tried. hopefully there is a GENIUS out there willing to read the following story...

I have a problem you may be able to help me with: RECOVER FILES FROM A HARD DRIVE. I have done this many times on many hard drives but this time is particularly difficult.

I have 2 identical samsung 400gb (HD403LJ) sata 2 hard drives that were installed in an icybox ib-nas4220-b NAS. the file systems on these drives as read from partition magic in windows are "type FD" and from reading articles on the internet is a file system based around linux (i thought i had originally set the drive up for ext2 or ext3 (which are apparently also read from linux) but i obviously did not apply this file system). i have removed the drives as the NAS is constantly crashing when i try to transfer large files to or from that drive and at the moment does not even appear within my network places > view network connections (windows) as it usually would.

that nas is being returned to the manufacturer and in the meantime i need to access my files on these hard drives and store them on a hard drive drive with file system which can be read from windows (e.g. ntfs). when i originally installed the drives into the nas many months ago, i chose the mirroring facility (raid1) as i didnt want to lose any data as i had done in the past so mirroring was my only option.

when i connected the hard drive to my pc (in windows) as a normal hard drive using sata cable connected to motherboard to try and recover the data, it did not appear in my computer but did in device manager > disk drives.

I booted a live cd of linux ubuntu hoping i could see the drives in "places" alongside my other hard drive (ntfs format). i could see ntfs drive but no "type FD".

I have had a suggestion to mount the drive in linux. I have read up on this and it looks complicated (prob because im not familiar with linux - something i intend to work on though). If anyone else recommends this then could they please provide detailed instructions from start to finish on this procedure.