[SOLVED] Connect to external display via non-thunderbolt Type-C port

LetterC67

Commendable
Dec 25, 2020
Hello guys,

Currently I connect my laptop (MSI Modern 14 / 10210U / 8GB) to an external display via HDMI port. Now I want to connect it to another display (so I got 3 displays in total, including the integrated display of my laptop). It has 2 USB Type-C 3.2 ports (No thunderbolt). So my question is can I use the adapter to convert Type-C to VGA and does it affect my PC performance? (high CPU or GPU usage for example)

Thanks in advance!

(Edit: Sorry guys, I accidently posted this question in wrong category!)

Solution
Nope. Thunderbolt is what allows the video display over USB C.

You could get a USB C display adapter to add a third display. These actually have a basic 2D GPU in the adapter itself. Don't expect any kind of gaming/3D performance though. They are strictly for 2D OS functionality.

LetterC67

Commendable
Dec 25, 2020
Nope. Thunderbolt is what allows the video display over USB C.

You could get a USB C display adapter to add a third display. These actually have a basic 2D GPU in the adapter itself. Don't expect any kind of gaming/3D performance though. They are strictly for 2D OS functionality.
Thank you, really useful! 😎
Obviously I will not play video games using the third screen but can the GPU in the adapter be able to playback videos smoothly at 720p? Sorry if this is a stupid question since this is the first time I have ever heard about the "basic 2D GPU" 😓